G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I over the last month I have picked up a bunch of Bachmann trolleys and I had a few to begin with. All the cars I have I have seen I have seen two versions of the open car, light tan and dark brown seats. And I have seen now three versions of the power brick with both the closed and open cars. The first that I saw had no soldered connections to the brick and it just screwed in. The majority of the cars I have have the brick soldered to the body for lights etc. The latest version I have purchased has sliders, and in fact the two new bricks have two different versions of sliders, smooth and with two dimples.

My question is is there a time line to their manufacturer?

Ted.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I don't have a lot of data here. I have one older open car.

It had contact fingers to connect the brick to the frame. The original brick had sliders, it was terrible. Bachmann replaced it with a different design that ran better, it did not have sliders but it did have a feature for mounting them. Both had spring contacts on top.

The brick has since been junked and replaced with an Aristo brick. MUCH BETTER

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips9/trolly_tips.html

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Seems the failure rate of the brick is quite often especially if using reverse units. Later RJD

·
Registered
811 Posts
Neither of the bricks actually failed. Both just ran crappy from the git-go (although the 2nd one was much better than the first) and I got tired of them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand the problems with the OEM blocks. Mine are hit and miss, some really are bad, some get better with age. I kinda like the broken in blocks I have, they sound like the real thing!

I am trying to gauge the production cycle for the cars. I find it interesting that there are so many different combinations of blocks used, although I should not be surprised. There are how many different production variants of the LGB 4 wheel gondola? :)

So what I understand so far (In order of appearance)

Block with sliders, hardwired to chassis
Block w/o sliders, hardwired to chassis
Block w/o sliders, spring contacts to chassis
Block with sliders, spring contacts to chassis

George, this is akin to the different versions of the ubiquitous Bachmann 4-6-0!

·
Registered
811 Posts
All the manufacturers make changes on virtually every production run.

My trolly was purchased sometime before 1994. I don't know when they were first produced.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your help George, and your tips pages are some of the most helpful on the web!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts