G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,guys!
Here's a new to me Bachmann Santa Fe #49 "Thunderbolt Express" set that I picked up on Ebay last week.
It's in like very good condition and the inside of the locomotives' chassis looks brand new, although I doubt that it is given the age of the set which was made sometime in the 1990's.
It runs a little noisy, but it does run very well.
The tender, gondola, and bobber caboose are also new in appearance.
See a video of it here:
Enjoy!
Andrew

·
Registered
44 Posts
If it's a gen 3, you may want to try to reinforce the motor mount. Doing this should extend the life of the gear. Big Haulers Tips
Forgive me if you already know this.

I have a gen 3 that is in good shape, it's quieter than the one in your vid (almost as quiet as my gen 5 Annie chassis believe it or not). I think it's because the motor was secured and the gearing lines up better under torque as a result.

·
Registered
44 Posts
PS. I meant to add that it looks like a decent buy. I've seen even gen 3's (just the locomotive & tender) go for over $100 on ebay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
RkyGriz, That locomotive was made very early, but also reissued in upgrades later. The first version was Bachmann's only track-powered Big Hauler for a time, so a lot of them were sold. The castings on the drivers of the earliest version were very rough - the spokes were not smooth at all, almost like sand castings. If you have one of those and it's running, it must have been sitting in a box all its life. Regardless, make certain to lube it before you run it a lot.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks, Paul.
Inspecting and lubing the chassis were the first 2 things that I did before testing the loco.
I found it to be very well lubricated, and most importantly, exceptionally clean, and new looking inside.
Like you said, it either spent its' entire life in the box, or someone has taken exceptionally good care of it over the last 2 to 3 decades.
I was impressed with how nice the whole set looks.
Here's a new video of this train on its' first run made earlier today
:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts