G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering converting, or attempting to convert, a Bachmann 55 ton three-truck Shay to represent an OR&L 75 ton three-truck Shay. Lots of body mods but no changed to the drive. Does anyone have the length, width and height of the Bachmann offering handy? The OR&L built a "roundhouse", engine shed really, at Waipahu for Shay #44 that was 30 feet wide and 60 feet long which will have to be constructrd along with the Shay.

Jeff Livingaton
Kaneohe, Hawaii

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Richard,

The 30 x 60 foot engine shed wil be about 18 x 36 inches so the Shay will fit right in. Now, do I really want to do this?

Jeff Livingsotn
Kaneohe, Hawaii

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Posted By Jeff Livingston on 12/27/2008 6:12 PM
Thanks Richard,

The 30 x 60 foot engine shed wil be about 18 x 36 inches so the Shay will fit right in. Now, do I really want to do this?

Jeff Livingsotn
Kaneohe, Hawaii

Would that be a 2-stall engine shed? Is 36" long enough to hold a K-27?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Matt, Lots of body work to make the Bachmann resemble the OR&L Shays but since I'm building the Waipahu engine shed anyway to go along with the depot and freight house I had to ask. I really don't need to add a Shay since they were out of service by the time period I'm modeling but it would be a great challange.

UP9018, This was a single stall engine shed at Waipahu. I don't know how long a K-27 is but I think it might be a tight fit.

Jeff Livingston
Kaneohe, Hawaii

1 - 6 of 6 Posts