G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many years on the shelf the nylon pinion gear in the gear box next to the motor has cracked and lost a tooth. Any one know of a replacement? Bachmann no longer has the part.

·
Super Modulator
21,409 Posts
Contact Jiro, the guy who makes custom gears... I forgot his contact info...

someone else can find a thread.. ahh here's a reference:

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Martan, I searched for a single axle drive and couldn't find one, but looks like you did. Can I assume you mounted it in the truck bed? Will look into the drive you mentioned.
In searching Bachmann parts realized they also made the Rail Truck in ON30. For that they had parts, so I ordered the motor/gear box assembly and the drive assembly that connects to that. Will arrive next week and then be better able to tell if I can adapt them.
EDIT: Martan, checked them out, they offer many different drives, all with very reasonable pricing. Going to book mark that site, many useful things there.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I had the same problem with my Bachmann large scale trolleys. Had to 3D print a replacement gear. Here's the result:
Plant Circle Auto part Petal Font

·
Registered
138 Posts
Meant to put these up a few days ago. I tried the metal one Pete linked to but it is noisy and 'skips' sometimes and locks, bit too much play in the gears I think. This plastic one just does fit between the wheels and make it over the switch points. And it's pretty quiet too. I had to re-do the center bolster a bit to make everything fit plus add that styrene strip to hold it down. I also made a new mount that bolts to the underside of the bed too, the one I had made it too tall, it looked like a dragster, ha. But it works well and purrs along, in fact it's a bit fast at 11v. I probably could have just cut down the stock parts but I decided to make STL files and 3D print new ones. Those are here if you want them: RailTruckSTL.zip

Actually, come to think of it, this is the RailTruck Pete sold me a few years back. I've had a lot of fun with this little fellow. It have an old passenger car I picked up somewhere, its quite heavy with metal wheels and batteries for the lights but this little guy hauls it around with no sweat.

Wood Building Engineering Lego Urban design
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Engineering Machine tool

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The truck I have has just 2 rear wheels, did they make more than one style? I got the gear Pete sent to mesh very nicely, now need to fit it to the shaft.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Fitted the gear to the shaft and it runs beautifully. Slightly better in reverse, so I think the gear needs to be seated a bit more. I'm happy. Will fully assemble when the eyes are more up to it. Thank You Again Pete

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Meant to put these up a few days ago. I tried the metal one Pete linked to but it is noisy and 'skips' sometimes and locks, bit too much play in the gears I think. This plastic one just does fit between the wheels and make it over the switch points. And it's pretty quiet too. I had to re-do the center bolster a bit to make everything fit plus add that styrene strip to hold it down. I also made a new mount that bolts to the underside of the bed too, the one I had made it too tall, it looked like a dragster, ha. But it works well and purrs along, in fact it's a bit fast at 11v. I probably could have just cut down the stock parts but I decided to make STL files and 3D print new ones. Those are here if you want them: RailTruckSTL.zip

Actually, come to think of it, this is the RailTruck Pete sold me a few years back. I've had a lot of fun with this little fellow. It have an old passenger car I picked up somewhere, its quite heavy with metal wheels and batteries for the lights but this little guy hauls it around with no sweat.
I see that the factory front truck and rear axle have been replaced on yours. Do you still have them and would you be willing to part with them?

Also, if anyone has a railtruck that is dead in the water, I'd be in the market for a non-runner.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Northwest Short line has all sorts of re-gear sets for almost every situations.
Fred, most of those regear sets are for smaller scale locomotives. (Good to see they finally have some photos online.) If you go to the 'old catalog pages' and look at the last page of the upgrade and replacement gears catalog, you'll find the few large scale parts/gears. I am not sure that the re-organized NWSL is producing them yet.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
The truck I have has just 2 rear wheels, did they make more than one style?
Nick, good to see your truck running. Bachmann only made one type - Martan's truck is a hybrid; looks like a railtruck frame with a single front axle and a regular truck back. I'm not sure it's the one I sold him, as mine looked like this:

Vehicle Rolling stock Motor vehicle Track Wood

Though looking at the underside photo, it was based on a railtruck frame:

Automotive tire Gas Engineering Motor vehicle Rolling

Martan had some fun rebuilding it!

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Wasn't that the Galloping Goose? or something like that? That is one long drive shaft, and nice to see both rear axles are powered. I tested it AAA batteries, with that little bit of power if there was any binding it would shown up. Gave it 12V of power with NiCa batteries, she clips right along. Glad to see NWSL is back.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Head lamp conversation. While the yellow ones supplied were more to the period I wanted them bright enough to be seen in daylight. Used Evans LED's as theirs have very thin wire right up to the LED. Extracted the bezel/bracket from the housing and enlarged the hole to the same diameter of the lighted part of the LED. Painted the hole Chrome to match, it is made of black plastic. Filed the back wider and thinner so the LED fit and was closer to the lens, also make room for the excess wire. Just need to coat the exposed wire with black liquid tape and the lenses are just press fit, eyes had it for today.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts