G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a Turbo Smoke Unit in my B' K-27. The unit I have requires about 18v to put out good smoke. So I don't think I can use the old smoke unit wires? I assume the input wires to the original unit would be something more like 5v? I think I need to go directly to the left and right rail pickups in the loco?

Also, for the chuff part of the turbo smoke to work I need a ground. Any suggestions on what I could use as a ground in the loco (not the tender)?

After I get this thing working I'll post some pics/video and how-to for anyone interested.

· Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greg, yes, this is the TAS unit. For the smoke to work with the chuff I need a ground and a trigger. I was going to use either the optical sensor or magnet for the chuff input but also need a ground.

Stan, which pin is the DC- in the loco? Should i use the pin marked M- (Motor negative)?

· Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greg, yes mine came with the bridge also for DCC. Okay, for power I'll hook it directly to the rails. Got that done.

Using the optical sensor for the chuff input might make me crazy but I'd like to try it first :) With the boiler off I found the wires that provide the chuff from the optical sensors using a meter - one is blue the other is orange. If I hook up these two wires to the input chuff for the TAS, do you think that will work or cause problems? I may have to invert the signal with a NPN transistor just like I have to with the chuff input to the Phoenix P5. If it will work the other thing I need is a ground wire in the boiler.

· Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Greg, these are the schematics that Bob Grosh put together for the K-27:

Wiring

Interconnection

Yes, it may make me crazy and harder than just magnets, but if I switch to magents I'd need to convert the P5 to use magnets also as I would like to have the puff and chuff in sync. Hopefully I can learn some electronics from this also :)

Where is Bob these days anyways?

Stan,

I have 2 wires left to hook up for the smoke unit. These are the ones that give it the puff and chuff. If I hook up these wires to a reed switch (one wire to each end) and run that over a magnet I get the puff in sync - pretty cool. Now I just need to do the same with the trigger from the optical sensor triggers. So I'm not sure if I need ground or common + to complete the circuit when the optical sensor fires?

Also, you are saying to use the connections on the board marked PCB08 in Bob's Interconnection diagram? I don't see a diode, do I need to look at the underside of the board?

· Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scott, I have done this also for the P5, it does work great. However, I was looking for something in the boiler because that is where I have the smoke unit, and I didn't want to run another wire from the loco to tender.

· Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Stan, Greg and Scott!! It's working :) I'll post a review of my findings in the Product Review. The puff and chuff is pretty cool, and this unit does put out a fair amount of smoke. My wife came down to the basement from upstairs and said she could smell the Yack fat candle I was burning all the way upstairs and was afraid I was going to set the smoke alarm off :)

I ended up using the optical sensor. I didn't connect directly to the chuff trigger, which is marked "A" on optical sensor connection on PCB05, but followed the circuit and connected into it after the diode that Stan suggested. Because I needed to invert the signal I set up the same PNP transistor that I have in the tender for the input into the P5. For a ground I used the optical sensor "B" connection on PCB05.

The puff and chuff are now in sync! Going to make for some cool slow start videos :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.