G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Super Modulator
22,695 Posts
Jim... I ordered mine "for DCC"... it came with a full wave bridge, so I can hook it right to the rails... your "ground" would be the minus side of the FW bridge.

The chuff wire just needs to be grounded to "chuff".

I would use a magnet for the chuff, interfacing to the original circuitry might make you crazy.

Regards, Greg

· Super Modulator
22,695 Posts
I need to look at the K schematic again... how about you do the legwork and post the link? I'll look at the circuit. One problem with the circuit if I remember correctly is that it did not get all the way to ground, another problem is that it's powered from a different circuit, may have ground level problems, and also you will probably have to invert the signal... other than that it will probably be a piece of cake...

Do you get my comment about going crazy?

Anyway, find the link, and we can all hack at it...

Regards, Greg

· Super Modulator
22,695 Posts
Stan, I think you are overlooking some of the things I mentioned. But, go for it, if it does not work, then you can explain the differences in the ground potentials.

Jim, I gave you my best recommendation, use a magnet and pickup... if you want to use the existing chuff circuitry, I think some more investigation is in order.

Since Stan has chosen say "forget about the schematics" obviously he knows exactly how to make it work. If you follow Stan's advice, please be sure to ask Stan if you have problems.

Regards, Greg

(Stan, it was ME that was going to look at the schematics, and I AM good with electronics, and the implied insult is registered, but just go ahead and make it work for Jim, that's all that counts)

· Super Modulator
22,695 Posts
It think Scott has it right, although the jumper to connect the 2 chuffs is on the tender board I think. If it is in place, I think you can use either board.

But the chuff outputs are positive going, and the chuff input on the TAS is negative going, so that's where you need the transistor to "invert" the chuff signal.

Otherwise, the smoke unit may run all the time, and only "stop" when you actually want a chuff.

Regards, Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.