G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
345 Posts
Jim

On the main board at the top of the boiler rear are the locomotives raw DC + and - . This raw voltage is also abailable on the lower board that has the connection to the motor. This raw + and - come from whatever you have in the socket in the tender. SInce you are using track powered DCC this voltage is about 2 volts less then the DCC track voltage.

The control wire for the smoke unit comes from the tender and goes directly to the main board in the boiler.

If you need raw track power the best place to tap into it is on the lower board near the motor. Not sure where the voltage regulator is for the smole unit but I believe it is on the main board so I do believe the two wires going to it are indeed low voltage wires.

Hope that helps.

Stan

· Registered
345 Posts
Jim

The locomotive DC- is the locomotive ground. I do not have experience with the specific chuff unit you wish to install. I believe others such as Greg have some experience with this smoke unit and can help you with which wire on the smoke unit is the raw voltage wires and which is the controll wire and which is used to trigger its chuffs.

Stan

· Registered
345 Posts
Jim

Forget about the schemantics and unless you are good with electronics do not connect directly to the optos. On the chuff circuit board on the cab end of the motor there are two diodes just before the wires going to the tender. Connect on the side of the diode that goes to the wires going to the tender. Simply use the transistor inversion approach you used in the tender connected the same way as you did to your P5

If you want the smoke to be 2 smokes per revolution use one sensor. If you want 4 chuffs per revolution use both sensors.

Do not connect anything to the motor wires use the wires labeled + and - which are J1-7 which is the - or ground and J1-6 is the raw + or positive. The rectifier is already there for you to use.

All the connections you need are on that lower board which is easy to get to.

Stan

Stan

· Registered
345 Posts
Greg

No insult intended. Poor writing on my part. While you can look at scemantics I do not believe from talking that Jim understands them. From your notes I was underthe impression he needs an 18 volt +, a Ground. and a ground trigger.

The connections on the lower board are exactely the same as the connections in the tender. I use these connections for adding things to the locomotive since they are so easy to get at.

The ground potential should be the same if these connections are used.

Stan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.