G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,643 Posts
Copyrighted data from the review (used with persmission of author):
Length, beam to beam, is 34”.
Tender measurements from MR are 21’ 10-1/2”, which scales to 12.93”. The model is just less than 12-3/4”.
Cab roof vent is about 7” above the railhead, which is very close to the scale cab roof height of 7.04”
The model’s cab measure 5-1/8” wide, cylinders are at 6-1.4”, stack is just under 7-3/4” in height.
That said, lock #1 and #4 axles to keep nose overhang (11/16" and uncontrollable, depending on load) to a minimum.

· Registered
1,643 Posts
You just gotta watch the overhang of the pilot under load (train).
I have a bridge that was built to broad clearances, but coming up the curving 4% with a train, it locked over to one side and would hit the bridge (and stop).
The axle locking allows me to know exactly where it is going to point when it comes out of a curve.

· Registered
1,643 Posts
I have it on expert authority that the design criteria is such that the load on the drawbar actually pulls the locomotive into the curve.

The rules of this and most forums prohibits me from telling you exactly what I think of that statement, engineering-wise and experience-wise, but one word is probably acceptable:

HOGWASH!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.