G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This item was last cataloged in 2014. I am using a Bridgewerks Mag 10-SR transformer. The motor brush assembly melted down after only a few runs, less than 1 hour total runtime at slow proto typical speed. With the trailer it is a great looker, but from what I’ve read is plagued with motor burnouts and splitting nylon gears. I doubt the original motor could be found or that I’d even want one. I will need to improvise the drivetrain with a better motor. Does anyone know of a good source for DC motors? The Bachmann parts page doesn’t even show the motor but my guess would be 18v. Has anyone come up with re-engineering one of these?

Thanks…Rich

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
I doubt the original motor could be found or that I’d even want one. I will need to improvise the drivetrain with a better motor.
I haven't fixed one of those handcars, but I have done a few trolleys which are also prone to brush gear meltdowns. Also the railtruck and others.
Bachmann, which is owned by Kader, uses a Kader 881 motor in many things. I even bought a spare for an HO diesel just to get the motor - heaven knows whether they are all 12V or all 18V.

Wood Eyewear Gadget Jewellery Electronic device

There is a standard Mabuchi motor available on eBay and Aliexpress that is the identical size. I haven't managed to find all the references but I think replacing the motor isn't too tricky. This is the one I bought on eBay:
MABUCHI FK-130SH-09450 DC 3V-12V 6000RPM Micro 130 DC Motor DIY Car AV Toy Model | eBay

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
There's a bunch of info in this thread:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't fixed one of those handcars, but I have done a few trolleys which are also prone to brush gear meltdowns. Also the railtruck and others.
Bachmann, which is owned by Kader, uses a Kader 881 motor in many things. I even bought a spare for an HO diesel just to get the motor - heaven knows whether they are all 12V or all 18V.

View attachment 63948

There is a standard Mabuchi motor available on eBay and Aliexpress that is the identical size. I haven't managed to find all the references but I think replacing the motor isn't too tricky. This is the one I bought on eBay:
MABUCHI FK-130SH-09450 DC 3V-12V 6000RPM Micro 130 DC Motor DIY Car AV Toy Model | eBay
Thanks for the response and link Pete! It wasn't wise to use plastic for brushes. The handcar motor is a square, flat open chassis with a worm on each side of the armature. That being the case, I may need to leave the burned out motor and gear the armature somehow to a replacement motor. I have the grey model so it may be designed different than the yellow. I should be able to come up with something even if I have to mount on top of the handcar and disguise it as a tool box. To make matters worse, I also have a Christmas rail-truck. So far so good, but I only run it during the season, which is pretty cold where I am.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The hand car was one of my early additions and the kids loved it. But it didn’t last. Over the years I collected the yellow one and both the white and red Christmas ones. All dead. Before Barry of Barry's Big Trains had health issues, I had sent him my collection and he was going to come up with a solution like he did for the Connie, but his health issues kicked in and he had to returned them. And that’s ashame as I believe he would have come up with a real fix and all of them were problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Knowing how I procrastinate back shopped projects I at least figured a use for the tool car. I adapted the rear bumper of my Santa’s rail truck with a hitch to tow behind. I removed Santa from the driver’s seat and replaced him with the bust of a utility worker. It worked out pretty nice. I plan on installing LED headlights and weathering out the Christmas theme to a MOW primer grey and rust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts