G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have been working on documenting Bachmann Large Scale items for many years, but I have not been able to find the story behind The Bachmann radio Controlled "Green Lightning" Set #90101.  

This is a picture of the box top and another of the contents:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh291/sharronbillc/Trains/GreenLightningBox.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh291/sharronbillc/Trains/GreenLightningOpenBox.jpg

The set was made in 1990 or 1991 and pictures I have show it to be the 27mhz version.   It is extremely rare and the last time I saw one on Ebay was four years ago.  It was never in the catalog. 

Who was this set made for?    Confirm the set number?   Where was it sold?  Any other info??

Even Bachmann doesn't have info on the set, and they have been of considerable help to my project.   I hope to eventually publish a book on Bachmann large scale, and will gladly give credit to anyone who can provide me any info about this set.  

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Rare?
Maybe in the BOX it is, but there doesn't seem to be anything special about what I see in the photos.
The locomotive is just like dozens and dozens we have cut up for scrap and parts over the years.
The gondola, I still have a couple in use.
The caboose, just sent one off to someone who needed a Santa Fe caboose.
I don't think (from what I've been told) that ANY of the original battery Big-Haulers were catalogued.

TOC

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave. you are right about none of the RC sets being in the catalog, I just wanted everyone to know I checked.

There is nothing special or different about the pieces in the set, but for the historical record I want to know more about the set that is why I have asked the questions. The only thing different is the package with the "Green Lightning" wording. The set is the same as the Holiday Express set except that the loco in the Green Lightning set has the ATSF engine rather than the Holiday Express engine in that set.

At the end of the day I am still looking for answers.

Love your photo I always wondered what submarine crew looked like!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I can only tell you I have seen FEW Holiday locos and MANY ATSF locos.
I had probably seen boxes, but never paid any attention to them.
Not saying one way or the other on them, as I don't know.
One of the youngsters brought one by a couple of operating sessions ago, if I recall, and I loaned him a transmitter.
Ran, well, just like they used to.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Bill,
I've still got a set that was one of the early RC sets. Got it cheap from that clearance/overstock catalog Damark back in the nineties. Identical to that except I don't remember if it has the Green Lightning on it or not? I'm sure that doesn't help though? Sorry.

Chas

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chas, I do need positive confirmation. Please check the box and let me know what you find. What is the Bachmann Number on your set?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts