G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Bachmann Fn3 Pricing and Pre-sale....

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Spule 4 
G
#1 ·
G
#5 ·
Posted By SlateCreek on 07/25/2008 6:04 AM
Interesting. The Davenport is supposed to be available NOW (not "NOV" like the other two) and the Caboose has the SAME price as the Davenport.
Cue the band. Let the circus begin!
I think that I'll wait till I know they have them in hand before I inquire about what the price really is.
Matthew (OV)

jason at st aubin said he had no idea when they would be avail! I was gonna order me one

#7 ·
Walthers.com has them list priced at $275.00

160-88796
Spectrum(R) Long Caboose with Lighted & Detailed Interior -- Rio Grande Southern w/Single Window Cupola
(8'Diameter Curved Track Required) G

This makes the $139 at StA about 50%. That seems like a good discount.

Anyone have any experience how long/if StA actually honors this kind of discount?

#9 ·
Nick: Gladly :)

All: $275 is the Bachmann list price. They pulled it from the ones posted in the online "Products" section of the website, but it's still in the Bach-Man's photo gallery on the board.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/gallery.php?set_albumName=album02&include=view_album.php

So, the $139.00 is about half that, and probably pretty close to a "reasonable" street price.... much like the K-27's $700 from a $1400 MSRP. The discounting can begin from there, though in recent examples, it hasn't been much (and there are stories as to why, if you read the news on it.)

The caboose has the same MSRP as the Davenport, ergo, the same "street" price at the onset.

The exception, of course, is Walthers, who still thinks it's fun to charge $65.00 for a Big Hauler boxcar. Similar in many respects to the folks who sell cans of Pepsi for $3.50 at the airport.... I suppose if you can't find it anyplace else....

Oh, and from experience: Nobody's heard of any of these things until they have them advertised.

After the debacle with the K, where I pre-ordered the one I wanted, got the one I didn't want, and ended up having to order the one I wanted from somewhere else at a much higher price, I'm gonna wait for Ridge Road this time, I think ... they've never done badly on anything I've ever bought from them.

Matthew (OV)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.