G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add the flicker feature to a 4-6-0 Annie Big Hauler that does not have any circuitry. I can buy the coal load with the led board attached PCB01 & Firebox (G 2-Truck Climax) [G118X-PCB01] - $17.85 : Bachmann Trains Online Store!. Does anyone know if the main PCB ACTUALLY provides anything besides power to the LED's (ie flicker effect)? Since there are 4 wires, I’m thinking the might actually be some alternating function coming from a board somewhere.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use Zimo DCC decoders.
I connect a red and an orange flickering LED each to its own CL2-N3 in parallel.
Negative side wired to the front lamp function and positive side wired to one of the rectified power pins.
The firebox is on anytime the front lamp is on. Since I rarely do reverse for long it is not an issue.
While a single CL2-N3 can potentially handle more than one LED, they will have synchronized flicker, which you don't want, so use two CL2-N3s.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use Zimo also and use gyro for one led, plus I use a self flickering led for another and this enables me to get a very random flicker. I also add a third led to ditch light and use a mix of red, orange, yellow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts