G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Yes you're probably right, you could void the warranty and I understand and agree with your reasoning to try and send it back for a replacement. I'd hate for you to be going through this trouble if its an 'easy' fix.

Good luck

Alan

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I stick with established dealers and know I can return items, and skip the mickey mouse evil bay crap. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Actually, if you have the original receipt, you can scan it and probably get a replacement direct from Bachman. At a minimum, they would send you a new power module.

Dave

·
Registered
205 Posts
Garratt...I know it's not the same engine but I have had the exact same issue with every Lionel Atlantic I have ever bought off ebay. In all cases the steel tyre that is pressed on to the plastic spoked wheel is simply not pressed evenly all around. Going around the wheel "pinching" the rim with fingers or a small padded clamp fixes 'em right up. Something to look into anyway.

I know some of the sellers tried to unload a "wobbling engine" cheap not knowing what a simple fix it was. Like I said, may be your issue, maybe not.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yeah Dave. I have contacted Bachmann.
Mickey, I am waiting on some new wheels from Bachmann. They should be here in about a week I guess.
Pterosaur, The wheels are one piece so no badly fitted tires. Thanks for the tip though.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
After comunicaing with Bachmann I was told to contact them with my address so they could send me spare parts.
I had already contacted them at this point but was given a slightly different e-mail address so I contacted them again with my address details.
Nothing arrived weeks later so I contacted them again and they said they had not received any correspondence from me which is incorrect as only one of the e-mail addresses they gave me was incorrect.
I finally received a delivery today with some spare parts but they sent me the wrong drive wheels. They sent me the small ones instead of the large ones.
They have seen the video therefore am aware of which wheels are warped.
Bad move Bachmann. The question is: How many Emily warped wheel videos do they want on YouTube from me?

Andrew

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Mickey, There has been a bit of a mix-up it seems.
I have now spoken to Bachmann and they tell me they sent a second package with the large wheels a few days after they sent the small package with the small wheels.
Should be here in the next few days then I guess, my crystal ball isn't working at the moment either.

I noticed you asked about the splashers previously. Even if you could cut the openings in the green body the wheels are also covered up inside by the black chassis. That would have to be modified also which will weaken it a little.

Also it has been criticized for not having much room behind the backhead for an engineer to stand. This has been speculated because of room needed for the motor etc. This is not the case though, there is plenty of space behind the motor. In fact it would not be too difficult to move the backhead forward with some plastic cutting. interestingly in the backhead space there are speaker holes and a spot for a 40mm speaker and mounting posts for something. Maybe future Emily's will have sound, who knows?

Andrew

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
It has now been 3 weeks since Rodney Watkins from Bachmann telephoned me 2 am in the morning and told me the correct replacement wheels were sent.
He claimed they were sent some weeks prior. That ads up to a month or so and still waiting...

Andrew

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Bucksco here on MLS says Bachamnn Spare Parts said they sent the parts some time ago but Rodney Watkins from spare parts now tells me he has not yet sent it even though he told me he sent the chassis mid last month after the first package with the incorrect small wheels.
When he phoned me 3 weeks ago he actually first said he had a package to send me right in front of him but then later said he had already sent the second package after the first package because of a mix-up. I am in no way confused to what he told me, I ask very specific questions.
It has now been nearly three months since I first contacted Bachmann Spare Parts.
The truth of the matter will be revealed in time. I will keep everyone posted on any apparent progress.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Rodney Watkins is now giving me the run around asking for further time before he posts.

He had the package right in front of him 3 weeks ago.
He refuses to indicate much in e-mail.
They are just stalling and trying to create a problem.

Andrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's Been Over 3 years, Whatever Happened?

Rodney Watkins is now giving me the run around asking for further time before he posts.

He had the package right in front of him 3 weeks ago.
He refuses to indicate much in e-mail.
They are just stalling and trying to create a problem.

Andrew
This last post was over three years ago, did you ever get the parts to fix your loco? I've been thinking of buying G Scale Thomas and Emily, now I don't think so...

Bill in FtL

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
This last post was over three years ago, did you ever get the parts to fix your loco? I've been thinking of buying G Scale Thomas and Emily, now I don't think so...

Bill in FtL
I did eventually get parts. I refused to be jerked around by the above mentioned person. The evasive tactics used rather than do the right thing for a paying customer was unbelievable. He eventually sent a pair of replacement small wheels rather than the big ones that warped. There was no misunderstanding. He then claimed he sent another which I tracked and it never left the Bachmann facility, after which he claimed he sent it by using the first package's tracking. He finally sent for the third time claimed, what I needed to repair the locomotive. There were plenty more twists and turns to the story which took several months all up. His deception attempts were pathetic to say the least but I did eventually get what was owed to me.

If you like the Thomas range, don't hesitate to get them. I believe most Bachmann Emily wheels are fairly straight. I suspect the eBay vendor I bought from may have damaged my Emily locomotive but that is another story. He was abusive to me in perhaps a dozen messages because I suggested that he was not the 'cheapest on the web' after proving that his overseas shipping costs were excessive compared to what others charge. He later laughed at me when I informed him the locomotive he sent was damaged. Two narcissist jerks I no longer bother with. Just another day buying trains from the USA.

Anyway, back to the Bachmann Thomas locomotives. They are built fairly tough and I'm impressed with the chunky gears inside. Far more robust than anything in the early Big Hauler or Spectrum line. The axles all run in brass bushes.

Andrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Andrew,

Glad to hear you finally got it squared away, sorry it was such a hassle. Thanks also for the news of gear improvements, gears (and poor quality universal joints that split) have always been problematic in the Bachmann line across all scales and gauges.

Bill in FtL

41 - 58 of 58 Posts