G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Emily locomotive today from Reindeer Pass(Kidmans;) It is larger than I expected at 16" long and the tender was 11.5". The 4 1/4" wheel is impressive. I plan to make it into a Sterling Single.

Love that big driver! Small wheel in front of it is also a driver.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I am looking to buy one for my Thomas collection for daughter.. We are going to Entertrainment Juction this weekend to see if they have em in yet. They have 25% off all Thomas stuff thru Christmas... Jery how does uit run compared to the other Thomas Locos?. Our three We have runs really smooth and quiet...

Travis

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
My brother Bryan has been running Emily at Longwood Gardens (PA) and said she is a great runner and best of Thomas series.

Looking forward to your Emily updates Jerry.

Alan

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Jerry,
I'm also fascinated as the Stirling Single (the prototype) is a gorgeous loco - I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I also suspect that someone in the UK will be offering a 'detailing' kit of etched brass parts to make it a real 'Single' ?

So I googled "convert emily to Stirling Single" and found several threads, including a gscalecentral UK thread started by you... There are several conversions of the smaller scale 'Emily's online.

The small wheel in front of the big driver is also hooked to the motor.
So that's what you meant when you put "is also a driver". Technically, the prototype only has one driving wheel - the one with the rod on it, of course. The front pair were/are (the engine still exists) a pilot truck, and the rear was fixed to the frame, like an American 4-4-0. (This is a 4-2-2 prototype, but it sounds as if Bachmann made it a 2-4-2?)

Did I say it was gorgeous . .

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
It is larger than I expected at 16" long
Jerry - did you find any dimensions to see what scale it is supposed to be?

Edit: Wikipedia says 50+ ft, so that's 18" in 1/32nd scale - maybe that's over the buffers? The Aster model is spec'd at 504mm, which is 19.8".

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
One way to deal with the splashers is to have Alan (www.galline.com) cut a new one in styrene. He's done some very intricate railings and curved windows, so all you need is a line drawing.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Today at the Colvin Run Mill display we were running Emily with four coaches, Thomas with Annie and Clarabelle, Percy with Troublesome Trucks and James and Toby [an LGB tram engine] pulling a string of LGB Christmas coaches and Christmas 2 axle gons. The younger kids seemed quite pleased. All ran quite well, although Thomas, and James were on loops with 1600 [16000] LGB curves, and Emily was on a circuit the used Aristo 10 ft diameter in the back and LGB 18000 curves in the front of the layout. We did test Emily on a circle of LGB 1500 curves and she did fine.

Emily has the polarity switch labeled Large Scale / NMRA.

Based on the driving wheel diameter of the locomotive being 4 1/8 in representing the 8 ft 1 in [97 in] drivers of the real locomotive, we have a nominal scale of 1:23.5.
Applying that to the actual length of the engine and tender of 50 ft 7 in [607 in], the model should be about 26 inches long. Coupled together, Bachmann's Emily is about 28 inches in length; pretty good for a toy. That measurement works out to a scale of about 1:21.6.

Overall, this fits well in the "close to 1:22.5" range.

I am very pleased with our new addition to the "Thomas family".

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Hi Jerry,
I've seen this loco twice now and I understand it's also been out on the mainline a few times. I did visit the footplate the first time when it was stored in the old York Railway Museum before the current museum was built. In its day it was a very fast engine and I imagine very drafty.
Looking forward to seeing what improvements you make with it.
All the best of the season.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Greetings all,

I too have a real soft spot for brit single wheelers. I built a "Sterling" out of Mamod parts back in 1995. See Steam in the Garden No. 33 May June 1976. I have an 00 scale Bachmann that I "chopped" the face off of just to put on the shelf as I do not run any 00 scale anymore. There is a good a book on the Sterling Singles by K. H. Leech and M. G. Boddy printed 1965 David & Charles (UK). There were many, perhaps half, of these engines that did not have the slots in the splashers and many that have the odd reverse curve on the cab roof. So this model is closer to a prototype than you may have thought!
I am looking forward to seeing these running at the train shows
Cheerio
Locojim

·
Registered
483 Posts
I love the look of it too and my first thoughts were making it look like the original. By the way, what are the splashers mentioned above? The real challenge to me would be cutting the holes in that big driver wheel cover like the original. But I think it would really look neat seeing the wheel moving behind those openings.

More reading and figured out splasher must be limey for fender. Thinking. May just do this.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts