G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Christmas came early and the man in brown delivered my Davenport switcher yesterday. Is anyone (TOC you listening) aware of any issues with the Davenport before I start conversion?

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
Check the wires from the track pick-ups to the control board. On my sample, they're undersized for the current that could potentially be drawn through them. (See the review in the December '08 Garden Railways). If you're doing DCC, I'd be tempted to beef them up a bit just to be safe. I'm not sure what effect undersized wires have on DCC signal integrity, but I seriously doubt it's a beneficial attribute. If you're running regular track power under light loads, I wouldn't worry too much. It's not hard to run new wires just to be safe, and if you're wiring sound or plan to use the smoke, it might be a good idea. If you're converting to battery power, this is a non-issue. You'll chuck everything inside anyway--not that there's a whole lot to begin with. Good luck fitting batteries in there. I'd look to a small LiIon pack for maximum use of space.

If you are running track power, make sure the pick-ups stay in contact with the back of the wheel. On mine, they did, but some wiggling of components during my inspection showed that if the pick-up assembly is moved as far inboard as it can possibly go and the wheels are moved as far outboard, then there may be a gap just large enough to break contact. That's a big "if," so it's not something I'd particularly worry about. It would have to happen on both axles at the same time for pick-up to be interrupted. The gearing appears sturdy, and both axles are powered, so you don't need to worry about loose counterweights or things of that nature. All the screws on my sample were snug.

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Interesting. I'm reading this after just unpacking mine, which arrived about an hour ago.

Here are a couple of impromptu photos (as in, on the desk where I'm typing....) just for fun.

Mine will be going to NWRCS for conversion into a DAVEnport, once I move the grabiron supports off the radiator to the frame where they belong, install a rear headlight, and a new front headlight that's a bit more reasonable. It'll also get graphics to be Slate Creek #2, and probably a horn and a bell or something.

I'm also kind of concerned about the seat in the cab -- especially as a big guy, it concerns me that if you were really a 1:20.3 fellow (and not just the itty bitty Sherman Pippin that comes in the Annie) you'd have a lot of trouble sitting on the itty bitty seat in the cab, and even if you did there'd be noplace to put your feet! I'm thinking something larger, and probably hinged to the back wall of the cab.... the "transmission hump" is so large, I can't see much else working.

But, overall, it's a solid little guy. I'll be interested to see how it runs.

Matthew (OV)

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I saw there at Ridge Road last weekend but wasn't able to truly look them over. Not near enough time. Next trip I'll plan better and take more time there. 15 minutes in that place was barely enough to make ANY purchases! I was not impressed by the price though. (sigh)

Chas

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, mine will be converting to RC/Battery so I guess its cut and chuck.... May not put sound in this, may be tough getting just he batteries and airwire card in...Nick

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By stevedenver on 10/28/2008 4:56 PM
my, what a large head light!

..the better to see you with, my dear.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Looks like they had a bunch of big headlights left over in the parts bin and used them instead of something more aesthetically pleasing.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the headlight will be changed...

·
Registered
983 Posts
Posted By wchasr on 10/23/2008 12:31 PM
I saw there at Ridge Road last weekend but wasn't able to truly look them over. Not near enough time. Next trip I'll plan better and take more time there. 15 minutes in that place was barely enough to make ANY purchases! I was not impressed by the price though. (sigh)

Chas

The prices in the store are more then if you bought them on-line. I remeber ordering a few things from them but had trouble with my internet. I ended up calling them. When I got done they gave me the price and it was more then what the internet said. I mentioned that to them and they said that they made a mistake and gave me the store price and ot the internet price.

·
Registered
757 Posts
so-how does it run?

heavy?

pulling ability?

stalling issues?

how is the quality and plastic etc?

any goodies likes tools, engineer, etc included?

cool looking little loco

tell us all about it

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
It runs well. Smooth, quiet, and speeds well suited for battery power.

4 pounds;

around 1 pound drawbar, pulled two Accucraft passenger cars up a 4% grade--slipping, but it pulled 'em. (Accucraft passenger cars aren't known for easy rolling)

short wheelbase, so be careful on long frogs;

Good quality plastics, crisp details;

No goodies.

Garden Railways review: http://www.trains.com/grw/default.aspx?c=a&id=1161

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I'm not Kevin, I know!

The DCC plug is in the very corner of the board.... it's designed so that a small 8 pin decoder would plug in there, and the decoder body would snap into the big metal clip right next to it (much more visible on the board.) It comes with some kind of dummy plug inserted in it reminiscent of some of the HO stuff I've seen.

I have the board on my desk at home, having removed it ... I'll put a close up photo up tonight if you'd like.

Matthew (OV)

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Hmmm- the "Force" must be strong with this one!

Looking forward to getting one of these myself, just have to decide what color scheme (leaning towards a green one).
Tom

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
LOL ... that's about as close as I can get with that particular camera and still have any kind of focus. (It's old... REEEALLY old.... has a 3.5 floppy disc drive in it!)

The mouse pad was originally there to get enough tilt to remove glare... I didin't even really notice how the dark side of the Force had showed up until afterward!

Matthew (OV)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts