G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the LED burned out. Went from dim to nothing. Cab and rear lights dull at full power. Cab is screw in buld. How the heck do I get the front headlight apart? Lens is so tight I could barely squeeze in an exacto blade, thinking I could pop the lens out. LED appears too long to pull out and the headlight assembly doesn't appear to come apart! Any help? Bill

·
Registered
811 Posts
try inserting a jeweler's screwdriver in the hole that the wires enter and GENTLY start prying and pushing forward. Eventually, you will find the sweet spot and be able to push the reflector and lens out the front.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If the rear light and cab light are dull at full power you may have other issues than a burned out front light.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Cab light is regulated, can be dim.
The LED headlights are dim out of the box, and no amount to futzing with the current limiting resistors helps, at least until they go "pop!".

Engine on track.
Power up, moving slow, pick up one truck (IF you have confirmed existence of rear shaft slip-joint).
If the truck you pick up quits, you have contact issues.
I hard-wire them from pivot plate to the chassis, eliminates the stupidity of over-designing (gee, where have I heard that before?).

If the contacts are failing, dim lights can ensue, but usually if that happens, they pulse (at least the cab light....hard to tell with flicker firebox).
The cab light flickers under the load of the flicker generator.
Now, who was the technical advisor on this one?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I have a partial fix......at least the lights now work......albeit a dim yellow at beast (I'm reading max 12.87V off the track at full power with my little Bachmann power box). I found with this assembly, it appears to be a one piece headlight housing. I found that by inserting a small screwdriver through the bottom hole (wire exit) and gently prying forward the bulb and reflector pop out along with the lens. DO NOT try prying the lens out! I managed to chip a wee, tiny piece off the lense. Then, I wiggled the emitter slightly while under power (on bearing blocks....ya' gotta have 'em!) The light came on.......and stays on. You can push the reflector in and pop in the lense. Now, how the heck do you get a decent light? I guess replace the LED's, but with what? Bill

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
With decent (not the cheapest-they-can-find-in-China) LEDs.
Your call.

Please stay away from blue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts