I was looking around upstairs the other day and ran across my Bachmann bobber caboose. it is a nice caboose but it tends to drag on curves, so I decided to add a pair of trucks to it. Once it was on the bench and taken apart I decided that it would make a nice little drovers caboose for my logging line. The results can be seen below. First I took off the cupola and modified the side windows. Then I decided to move the cupola to the back of the car.
so the roof had to be cut to accomodate it
then the cupola was moved back and the remaining roof piece was put in its place
then I marked where the side doors would be and started cutting
the results can be seen below
then the side doors were constructed using coffee stir sticks
then the door tracks and other details were applied
here it is painted and lettered
and with a little weathering and detailing
There is still a little detailing and cluttering to be done and couplers to be added. I will try to get the finished pictures up this weekend. Now I just have to build an engine to pull it!
That's a great bash to come up with a woods crummy. a little more dirt and wear & tear and it will look
just perfect in your logging train.
I want to thank you again for your Cat 60 thread a while back. It got me off the dime and started.
I have 2 cats about half done. I took your advice and started with the John Deere 430 crawlers and went
Thanks Guys! Vic, that is a great looking caboose, I may have to try making one.
Rick, glad to hear I inspired someone. Please post pictures when there done.
Dan, once the original journals were cut of I glued a stack of washers to the frame and drilled a hole and just screwed the trucks to them. The trucks are from a USA Trains work car, but they are the same as Bachmann and LGB. I was going to use some Arist-Craft delton freight trucks but the wheelbase is to long and will not fit between the original steps. Below are some pictures of how it was done.
I converted a 2 axle LGB toyrtain caboose like that, I used a shaped bolster of 1/4 sq. strip of basswood glued flat under the body and then used the same washer technique glued down for the truck to rest on.
Adding to the orig file. Now, looking at your pin pockets, I'd not noticed that they stick out. Mostly you see pixes of 'em mounted against the end-piece. Some log cars show 'bumpers' roughly like the Brits have, but not many. If one does that, it means a longer pin when used on a shorter radius. Long pins might cause their own problems. So, another answer I got.