G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a D&RGW Yellow Bachmann Big Hauler. It is a beautiful engine. My question is:

Did the D&RGW ever have an engine like this or is it just the imagination of Bachmann?

I think it will look great pulling some yellow passenger cars.

John

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Sorry, the D&RG engine's paint job on the big hauler, is just a figment of Bachmann imagination, the big Hauler is actually a 1:22.5 model of a narrow gauge engine from the“Tweetsierailroad (actually the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad).....But it'll look good on your RR enjoy it.....

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I'm very fond of my big hauler. You'll like it.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
A little history: The D&RGW did have a locomotive with a yellow and black color scheme (called "Bumblebee") with the running gear and lower section painted in silver but it was a C-16 2-8-0 #268. The paint scheme was for the Chicago Railroad Fair in 1949 and it was lettered for the "Cripple Creek & Tin Cup". It was also at this time that the "Aspen Gold & Silver" paint scheme was applied to the coaches used on this train. In 1950 the train returned to the D&RGW and the paint scheme for the cars stuck. There was one other engine with a similar paint scheme and that was a K-28 Mikado. Neither of these schemes lasted however and they were both returned to their regular black finish. The #268 is now a static display in it's "Bumblebee" paint scheme but with a weird diamond stack attached.
The models by Aristocraft and Bachmann utilizing the "Bumblebee" scheme are lovely but unfortunately not models of real prototypes. Of course, that's never stopped me before and I have one that I had converted to a 2-8-0 by Barry's Big Trains!

Here's a 1:20.3 model of the #268 lettered for a private RR:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts