G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
You guessed right on the Footplate/tender apron. The textured surface was for better footing as the fireman would step on it to get a shovel full of coal... or another chunk of wood.

John

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
TTT. You can't easily change the plastic gears to metal ones on the earlier Bachmann locomotives. The gearbox reduction gears are also plastic. The newer models with metal gears are a different design and the parts are not available. The best you can do is replace the plastic axle gear which is prone to splitting with a 'delrin' one from NWSL. Bachmann have a replacement axle with brass gear for the 2-8-0 Consolidation (outside frame).

Andrew

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
O boy! You all warned me about the main cogwheel, but I'm such an optimist. I was sure I would not have that trouble. At least I'm as prepared as can be from reading all your axle gear advice. For sure the darned thing is cracked because I tested the locomotive and it sounds like a car that won't start and doesn't move. The reason for the advertisers warning "This item has not been tested and is sold as is." Is now very clear.
Well at least it's clean, the whistle is on and the knuckle coupler is fixed and strong. I've glued the footplate tender apron twice and twice it's come unglued. I'll get it in the end. I hope it's just a matter of ordering the delrin' gear available from: http://www.nwsl.com/ and installing it according to instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The seller also wrote " Features include an LED headlight, load synchronized LED's in firebox and ashpan, smoke generator with on.off switch, complete backhead detail, fully operating Stephenson valve gear, metal wheels and axles." It would be nice to have the instructions manual. Or at least to know what the switches on the front do and how to operate the smoke generator.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
The switches are marked with molded in writing.
One is to reverse the polarity/running direction and the other for when using the smoke generator. Best to turn off when not running smoke so it does not burn out.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I have to order a few myself and recall discussion regarding the NWSL replacement gear being 24 tooth. The original Bachmann gear from a Spectrum 2-6-0 has 25 teeth as pictured below. You can't just remove a tooth and keep the same diameter, so that puzzles me.
Can anyone advise regarding this, who has used the NWSL gear for 2-6-0 or 4-4-0 repairs?

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
I second Andrew's important motion. Who has used the NWSL gear for 2-6-0 or 4-4-0 repairs?
I have, and so has Kevin and a few others. And Andrew is correct - the 25 tooth gear sold for the 2-8-0 is what I used.
http://shop.osorail.com/product.sc?productId=1226&categoryId=90

Kevin warns that the 3 he took apart are all 25 tooth:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php?topic=21832.0;wap2

The procedure is detailed here and works for 24 and 25 tooth gears:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,19904.0.html

As Kevin said, take it apart and count the teeth. I took a leap of faith and ordered the gear first - and the 25t fitted and solved my problem.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Thank you. Take it apart, count 24 or 25 teeth, then order according to specified above. The only thing that bothers me now is having to leave the loco in pieces while waiting fot the part. It is always best to put stuff back together right away. However one has to do what one has to do.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
OK, so NWSL have both the 24 and 25 teeth gears. I have replaced a split gear with a replacement Bachmann gear once and now have a few others that need doing but I knew there was some issue regarding the amount of teeth on the recommended NWSL gear. It's a real curve ball ending up with the wrong gear. Thanks for the clarification Pete. I will quote Kevin's words here from the Bachmann forum.

"Kevin Strong:
You can order a Delrin replacement gear from Northwest Short Line. The 4-4-0/2-6-0 gear (24-tooth) is part #2223-6, and the 2-8-0 (25-tooth) replacement gear is part #2226-6. Note, however, that despite NWSL indicating that the 4-4-0/2-6-0 gears are 24-tooth, I have yet to remove one that was 24-tooth. I've had three apart and they're all 25-tooth. Others have reported the same thing. I don' t know if there were two different gearboxes or what the deal is. If yours is slipping or broken, take it out, count the teeth, and order the appropriate one."

Andrew

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
I sent NWSL an email over a week ago asking about the 24 25 dilema , no answer yet. I imagine that if the experts at Bachmann don't know for sure no one does. After going over the instructions and the video I've decided to spend the extra $11 and order both the 24 and the 25 teeth gears. I don't like the idea of leaving the loco with it's guts hanging out until the gear arrives. I want to do it all in one go so that how to put it back together is very fresh in my memory when I do it. I will report here informing if mine was a 24 or a 25. I suppose the question to post in this forum, Bachmann's and all large scale forums is. Has anyone ever come across a 4-4-0 or a 2-6-0 with an axle gear with 24 teeth?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I'm sure NWSL have been told several times over the years but you know how it goes...
'Cognitive dissonance' is ripe in the world. Sorry about the pun. ;)

Andrew

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Looked it up, very interesting concept, this is not the place for politics but can't help thinking politicians all over the globe, specialy lately, must be swiming in cognitive dissonance.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
I don't like the idea of leaving the loco with it's guts hanging out
I didn't either, so I ordered the 25 tooth, on the basis that Kevin was batting 3:0 on them. Worst case I'd have to wait for a 24 to arrive. Mine was a 25 tooth also.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts