G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got myself a Bachmann Pioneer Big Hauler 4-6-0 with ATSF tender. The unit has had very little running ,With operating head light smoke and speed synchronized sound.There are NO chips or cracks
picked it up for $70 it does not look like much and is a cheap train but I will soon be doing a complete OverHaul on this So I am looking at my options.

The set sells for $250 to $300 brand new

Obviously I will repaint everything and repair anything that is broken but would love to hear what you all think would make this Loco a prize piece.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
If you want a really well running locomotive, get a Barry's Big Trains conversion. For the money, you will have a loco that is virtually indestructable as far as the drive is concerned. It is a little pricy but well worth it in my opinion. Check out the link for Barry on the regular Forum page.

·
Registered
114 Posts
These 10 wheelers are alot of fun. They are easy to bash into just about anything you can imagine. I took one and did a repaint, added LOTS of detail parts and made my Halloween train. I'm also in the process of making a freelance logging engine by starting with a 10 wheeler.
However, when the time comes that the drive goes out of the Halloween train, it will be getting a Barry's drive train.

Have fun with it!

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Yep! Definitely go with a BBT upgrade if you want the locomotive to be a 1st class runner! The next step would be to add a digital sound system. The Phoenix P5 would be a good choice (or if you can get a Sierra that would be good too!) By using Trackside Details, Ozark Miniatures, Accucraft, Hartford or any of a plethora of aftermarket detailing parts, you can then complete your engine to whatever level of detail you choose. Then, of course, there is r/c with batteries or DCC or DC track power.....decisions, decisions....

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
If it's a later generation big hauler, with the most recent drive--see George Schreyer's page: http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html --then in my opinion the BBT drive is not needed. Yes, it's better, but it's close to 4 times what he paid for the loco! The most recent version of the big hauler is really good. It pulls very well and runs smoothly and has good power pickup

I turned one of those into a 1:29 0-6-0 switcher:

Tim Brian is probably the king of big hauler bashes--search over at large scale central, he did a thread with a bunch of things. Vic Smith made a neat 0-6-0 in 1:24

Ozark miniatures and trackside details carry a bunch of appropriate upgrade parts if you just want to add detail. Since you have that great Pacific, you could try downsizing it to 1:29.

I'd want to repaint it. The gloss on it looks cheesy to me. Just spraying it with matte acrylic would improve it

Check out this page: http://4largescale.com/index.htm and especially Jack Thompson and Dean Whipple

This is a useful thread over at LSC: http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=8944

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All your input is great guys. Thank you. I am scanning the internet for pictures of bashed 10 wheelers to get ideas of what details I can add and ways to make it les toy looking. I am thinking of a black or gray color scheme. I may even try to find a nice sound card for this locomotive but have not decided yet.

If any of you have bashed something similar to this can you show some pictures?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here's the post of my Halloween train from a few months ago.

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/8/postid/58601/view/topic/Default.aspx

It's an older version Big Hauler, I repainted the entire engine, added lots of battery operated lighting and details. The cab has black lights inside, and lots of details throughout the train. Of course, it's all been renumbered and re-lettered. With all the work I've put into this one, if the drive goes out, it will get a BBT drive.
The great thing with this hobby is you get a chance to just let your imagination go wild.

Just have fun and enjoy

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks Chris,
I love kitbashing, and since very good friends of ours always have open houses around Halloween, I decided to make a train especially for the season. Every car has lights on it. The car with the witch started it's life as a passenger coach. That one has a fire that glows, black lights, street lights on each end. Trying to hide the batteries was a challenge. The caboose not only has lights, but a lightning feature as well. The heavies car is my "warewolf transport", which not only has blacklights to shine through the slats in the stock car, but has lightning and haunted house sounds as well.

So many people lose sight of why they got into this hobby in the first place, and that was to have fun. All of my trains may not come out to an accurate scale, but I'm happy with them, and that's what is important. I've already been invited to run on Halloween night at a local garden RR during "trick or treating" this coming year, and I've actually started building more rolling stock for this years train. I'm still undecided if I want to haul it to York to enter it into the model contest at the large scale show, we'll see.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
That's not the newer drive, I think. Maybe you want to go with BBT.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I plan on rebuilding the drive and pick ups myself.I am not sure what the BBT includes and what is involve or even the cost but most improvements can be done without spending hundreds of dollars.

-As it stands I will replace most of the plastic parts with brass or steal

-Repairing the sound card or replacing it

-securing the motor and gearing better, possible installing a bigger 24vdc motor

-replacing the trucks on the coal car

-adding some weight to the front 4 wheels and reconfiguring the swing arm.

-Adding some tanks to the coal car along with making the rear light operational

-Will have to improve the drive wheels appearance some how.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it! It's good to get the tender wheels to pickup power to the motor. While you have it apart, you might consider making a DCC socket for future expansion. Paiul Norton has an article on making one

http://ovgrs.editme.com/board

For what it's worth, Ozark miniatures and trackside details make a bunch of detail parts that work well with the Big hauler

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
If you can get the old system fixed your a lot better off and a few hundred dollars to the good as that's what the BBT system will set ya back. I have also done mods to mine and they run good now with original drives. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
You identify the drive like you sex kittens, turn it over and look between the rear drivers. If you see a hump to clear a gear and a rubber plug, it's the newer drive.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I was unaware that they still made the ATSF version in the newer drive mechanism. However, that looks like a recent one. It should run well.

- gws

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The bottom of the gear area does have a small hump to clear the gear but there does not seem to be a plug. If it is not enough clearance I can modify it with no trouble.

The biggest problem I see with this set up is the track power pick up set up so I will have to do something to make it work better. Maybe adding another pick up in the tender and run it to the Loco with a connector.

I noticed as well that I am missing a break pad. Maybe I can make one. It would be nice to have a bucket of spare parts to sift though. lol

I am thinking of carving up some small chunks of brass to replace some of these plastic parts.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts