G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Posted By markoles on 04/08/2008 6:32 AM

Hi guys, A few weeks ago, I obtained a new, old stock Bachmann Centennial 4-4-0. All I can say is "WOW"! What a beautiful engine. Operationally, she runs very well. Cosmetically, I have no complaints! I did a lot of reading on the old MLS archive, and I have to agree with the consensus from there, this is a smooth running, eye catching locomotive. Mark

I wish I could use one of those. However modern Alaska history does not begin until after these type of engines were long out of service. The earliest dated engine I could find in use up here was 1881--and that one was used in the Copper River & Northwestern Railway for construction purposes only.  Since all of my three themes are tied to Alaska, regrettably, this one won't work out, but I sure admire the model. 

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Posted By markoles on 04/08/2008 1:23 PM

Ron, You forget yourself in the process. By recreating the history, you are creating history. Where is the Ron Simpson train? Why not have a train for yourself? I also admired these engines from afar. But now that I have one, I realize that I could easily add more. They are not that big, but the detail is excellent. Also the general public reacts very positively to them, as they are icons, not just toys. Where is the Copper River Depot train? Mark

Oh, no. ONE more train to think about !  The official Ron Simpson / CRD train. I'll have to give that some serious consideration. 

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Posted By markoles on 04/10/2008 12:28 PM

Ron, Don't overlook the impact of Ron Simpson in the story. I don't think any of us would be as aware of the Kennecott Alaskan mining project or the Copper River and North Western Ry or its people and history. Certainly, you could have a train for yourself in there somewhere. These Bachmann Americans (and I assume Centennial Moguls) are really nice engines that don't require huge curves or long trains to look 'right'. It is a very elegant locomotive, in both static and operating modes. It is something worth considering! Mark

Thank you for the kind thought. However, were I to choose a locomotive with my namesake--or even close--it is unlikely I would choose the 4-4-0, but it certainly is an impressive model.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.