G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I just received 4 new Bachmann cars that I bought on Ebay last week. The only cost $112.00 after tax and shipping costs.
They included the updated D&RG "Rico" Observation Car,and the rare #220 coach.

Both feature track powered lighting,and metal hand rails.
The other 2 cars are a C&S 20 ft. Gondola, and an unlettered 20 ft. box car. Both of these cars feature body mounted knuckle couplers,metal door guides(box car only),metal grab irons,metal stirrups on each corner, and 24.5mm metal wheels.
Both of the freight cars (as are the passenger cars) are beautiful, and unrun.
I bought the set of four solely for the rare #220 coach.

I haven't seen a #220 coach on Ebay in quite awhile, and they usually go for more than I'm willing to pay for a single car.
The last one that I saw went for over $80.00.

The aggregate price per each works out to $28.10 per car!

Not too bad,eh?
So,obviously, the 2 freight cars are way smaller than the majority of my other rolling freight stock,which is Aristocraft,Bachmann,Lionel,and a single USA Trains Outside Braced Box car (V&T).

I'm thinking about offering the two freight cars ,and possibly the updated Rico Observation car on Ebay,but I'm uncertain of what scale the freight cars are cast in.
I believe that they were made to match the Bachmann 1:20.3 4-4-0 Centennial, and the 2-6-0 Mogul.
I am uncertain if that is correct, hence my inquiry here.

I was just wondering if anybody knows for certain,and would be kind enough to answer the question.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I recall Kevin Strong had written up something on the odd scale of those smaller BM cars, maybe he will chime in here

Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I have always believe they are freelance cars, no specific prototype, and no specific scale. (but if I'm wrong about that, I'd be interested to find out!)

Scot

·
Premium Member
5,909 Posts
So,obviously, the 2 freight cars are way smaller than the majority of my other rolling freight stock
Well, you can very quickly confirm with a ruler that the "20ft" cars are 1:22.5. That would be 10 1/2" (approx) long.

My understanding is that they are based on the Cairo & Kanawha boxcar drawings in "Slim Gauge Cars" (Carstens - every home should have one.)

Unfortunately, Neubauer's drawing has the boxcar at 22' (so much for 20ft) and his description says "the drawings are probably accurate within 10%" (my emphasis.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I just received 4 new Bachmann cars that I bought on Ebay last week. The only cost $112.00 after tax and shipping costs.
They included the updated D&RG "Rico" Observation Car,and the rare #220 coach.

Both feature track powered lighting,and metal hand rails.
The other 2 cars are a C&S 20 ft. Gondola, and an unlettered 20 ft. box car. Both of these cars feature body mounted knuckle couplers,metal door guides(box car only),metal grab irons,metal stirrups on each corner, and 24.5mm metal wheels.
Both of the freight cars (as are the passenger cars) are beautiful, and unrun.
I bought the set of four solely for the rare #220 coach.

I haven't seen a #220 coach on Ebay in quite awhile, and they usually go for more than I'm willing to pay for a single car.
The last one that I saw went for over $80.00.

The aggregate price per each works out to $28.10 per car!

Not too bad,eh?
So,obviously, the 2 freight cars are way smaller than the majority of my other rolling freight stock,which is Aristocraft,Bachmann,Lionel,and a single USA Trains Outside Braced Box car (V&T).

I'm thinking about offering the two freight cars ,and possibly the updated Rico Observation car on Ebay,but I'm uncertain of what scale the freight cars are cast in.
I believe that they were made to match the Bachmann 1:20.3 4-4-0 Centennial, and the 2-6-0 Mogul.
I am uncertain if that is correct, hence my inquiry here.

I was just wondering if anybody knows for certain,and would be kind enough to answer the question.
Thanks!

Would you be interested in selling the 2 freight cars to me?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are currently up for sale on Ebay, Please note that all prices are firm.
Thank you for your interest!
Andrew

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like you found them.
Congratulations! I hope that you]ll enjoy these beautiful cars. I'll send them out to you ASAP on Monday morning.
Thank you !
Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts