G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the base Bachamnn 2-4-2, I started with.

Chassis modifications. The brass block is a weight filling a space.

This is the new cab.

Just checking out proportions here.

This is the Rats nest. The battery pack was supplied by Cordless Inovations to fit specified dimensions.

This is just about finished. The coach is two Backmann coaches cut and joined for a longer unit.

An early morning run!

The switches and battery charge connections are in the tool boxes.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, if you take a look again I did manage to get an early photograph posted.
Thanks,
Harvey.

·
Super Moderator
406 Posts
Top shelf job Harvey, great to see some beautifully done, interesting and resourceful locomotive building again on this site.
Keep it up, this was really refreshing.

Great job,
David.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
do you have any more pictures of how you did the drive ?

I see some brass tubing but do not see how the axles went or the motor .......

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Nice Job! OR&L used to run a couple of smaller 4-4-0s Kaala and Leahi. Your bash reminded me of them.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Scott,
I understand that there are two versions of this locomotive from Bachmann. The earlier one has a split axle on both the drive and trailing. You have to pull really hard to get them apart, but this allows brass bushings to be used. The later version has what appears to be a solid axle with the gear fixed at centre. I guess the way I look at it, is that someone had to be able to put this together so I should be able to get it apart!
Cheers,
Harvey.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow! Great job Harvey! They both came out great. Thanks for posting pictures of them. Keep up the good work.

Aaron
Silver Creek & San Juan R.R.
Loyet Logging Company

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Bob,
This is a side view I took today. Still snowing outside so I had to do it inside.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Well done! The proportions are all just right. If there wasn't a prototype, there could have been. In looking back at the original model we can see and appreciate the work that went into rebuilding the chassis, building new side rods, et all. I know how difficult it is to get everything working together. I hope the Bachmann gear train keeps on working for you. Enjoy your creation, it's a jewel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts