G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Pretty neat Chris! At least you're an engineer.:) The rest of us will have to wait awhile,/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

It sure is nice to see the youngsters interested in the old steam engines, as well as the diesels. At least our hobby won't die out in the near future, and the kids get an education as to how things use to be. Keep up the good work (if you can call being an engineer in an honest to god coal burner, work).:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Chris,

Good to see an article that's really pretty accurate!!  What will you do with all your local celebrity? 

Bob - Chris rarely shovels the coal. When they have their 'steam days', Chris is one of the lucky ones that gets to throw the wood in the fire of the William Mason...

Mark

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
RE: B&O Museum Article

As someone who OWNS a steam engine, albiet a non rail one, I can say that shoveling coal and/or chucking wood might SOUND like fun....for a while. That is, until the blisters, burns and backaches show up, then you quickly realise that, yup it's STILL work. I won't mention the sheer joy of cozying up to a hot boiler on a humid 100 degree day, lol. Good that there are a few thing that man will do just for love, because if he had any brains he'd probably be sitting on the padded seat in the coach watching the show instead. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts

Nice article, Chris! Keep up the good work. BTW, is that an NW-2 loco you operate (the red diesel switcher you usually run)? Don't remember from my visits, and I thought that's what it was?
-axdop

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Mik- you are right steam is a labor of love....and while Mark is right, most of the time I am at the throttle of the Mason on Steam Days I have also fired St Elizabeth's Hospital #4 the little Porter Saddle tanker we run. This last fall it was 90 and humid on steam days and I still had to wear long johns to insulate me from the heat of the firebox. She's a hot little thing.

Axdrop- actually the 1200 is an SW-7 it is a common mistake as the EMD switchers were all so similar. Of course according to the article its a "worker" locomotive....lol

·
Registered
13 Posts

Chris,
If the 1200 is a "worker" locomotive...would that make something like the SD80MACs the queens?
Nevermind..
Good article. Folks in Baltimore think that Chris is the only engineer the B&O has... I'm actually kinda glad I've never been in there. Lots of family photo albums though.
Russ"the other engineer" Swinnerton

1 - 7 of 7 Posts