G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
RE: B&M plow update

Nice wings, looks like they can extend out? Nice weathering too!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Great looking conversion.

That's a USA "woodside" caboose for the body right?

Would you mind sharing photos (or a link to some if they've already been posted) or the rear of the plow.  I'd like to see what the endbeam/railing piece looks like without the steps.  I'm contemplating modifying two of my USA cabeese...see this thread.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE: B&M plow update

Scott
Thanks
How are your wings held open?
What did you use for the blades on the wings?
Sean

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
The blades are K&S brass  1/2" strips that I cut into pieces and bent.  I use springs from pens for the wings for now - you can bend them out or compress them as needed and they give.  I am still trying to figure out something better though.

Here is a photo of crews in our metal shop installing the blades on the wings for our new single throw plows

This is the first single throw plow we are building for clearing double track main line.  

The wing on the side the snow is thrown to is larger.   This plow will cut a wide swath

I still have to install the metal blade below the coupler.

Scott

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Scott,
I trust something was plowing last night and early this morning.:)

Tom

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tom,
Maybe Scott is plowing but right now we have rain and I'm glad of that. I don't plan to ever have a plow on my RR....

Art

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tom,
Maybe Scott is plowing but right now we have rain and I'm glad of that. I don't plan to ever have a plow on my RR....

Art

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Hi Art,

I do like the B&M plow.
It's got just the right amount of weathering and it looks nice.
He did a nice job.
I have entertained the thought, but each time I do I get the chills.:)

To me it would just something to gather dust as I would have no interest in going out plowing.
I used to get enough of that when I was on the plow team at work as we do Rt. 93 from Braintree to Boston.

But, to others it adds a certain level of operations to their railroad and I can and do appreciate that.
And I must admit that it looks nice in the right kind of snow

We got all rain from early this AM and it is still raining out now and the snow is all melted.:)

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts