G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to install the AVG Internet Security. I have the 3 user version. I'm going to put it on all three computers. That means my old one that had an Antivirus XP 2008 virus. As you will recall it locked up my old laptop three times and then suddenly disappeared. Dwight seems to think that the computer reset itself back to safe settings before the virus took over.

What I want to do after uninstalling the old AVG and installing the new AVG is to copy files and pictures to a disk. I do have everything on the external hard drive, but I wanted to try something else. Can I scan the disk with the new AVG on the old computer or do I still have to go to another computer to scan and check the disk? The old laptop seems to be working fine. I have to check the CD drive again. That is what I was doing (copying) when the computer locked up.

Becky

P.S. What happened to the "Preview" panel?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
The Preview button located down at the bottom of the editor window was removed because it doesn't function with the new MLS reply editor, that Shad enabled in the Forum Bugs and Testing forum, and when he did it there it did it on all forums.

·
Administrator
5,715 Posts
Becky - if the old laptop is working okay and you aren't getting the constant pop-up windows associated with Antivirus XP 2008, I'd be 99% certain that it is no longer infecting your machine. That does NOT mean the files that make it up aren't still there. But as I said before, it doesn't infect data files such as Word documents or other Office files (Excel, Access, etc.) and it doesn't infect photos or movies, so as long as you're copying KNOWN file types with KNOWN filenames, you should be safe. Stay away from theTemp and Temporary Internet Files folders - in fact, delete all such files from the old laptop. That's where this thing lives, as well as modifying the Registry and possibly embedding itself in the Windows\System32 folder. But you should have no reason to copy files from those places anyway.

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2008-071613-4343-99&tabid=2

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SteveC:

Thanks. I had last posted around 6th of Sept. It was there then. Apparently I had not posted since Shad put it in place on the 12th.

Dwight,

Thanks for your info. I copied my documents (not that many) to a flash drive. Scanned it with the new AVG Internet Security and installed onto the new computer. Everything appears to be fine.

However, I did another test of copying using the CD/DVD drive. It gets to the last 5 seconds and then locks up and I have to restart by total shutdown because I('m left looking at nothing but my screensaver. I haven't lost anything and everything else seems just fine. It's just the CD drive. It won't copy. Can you replace the CD drive in laptops? I have looked online everywhere and cannot locate one.

Becky

·
Administrator
5,715 Posts
You should be able to purchase a new drive directly from the manufacturer of the computer. However, if you plan to reformat that machine (as I believe you said earlier), I'd wait until you've done that and see if the problem goes away. If it's a software problem, reformatting and restoring from the recovery disks may cure it. If it doesn't, you can always replace it once that's done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts