·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
301 Posts
Duncan,

I read that book decades ago and I barely recall it. I do recall that, even then, the passage about the abandoned railroad trackage was too true.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
I read the book during my college days. Even back then (late 60s) it was apparent that we were heading toward the situation where we now find ourselves. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia on Atlas Shrugged:

"The theme of Atlas Shrugged is the role of the mind in man's life and, consequently, presentation of a new morality: the morality of rational self-interest.[4]
"The main crux of the book surrounds the decision of the "men of the mind" to go on strike, refusing to contribute their inventions, art, business leadership, scientific research, or new ideas of any kind to the rest of the world. Each man of ability eventually reasons (or is convinced) that society hampers him with unnecessary, burdensome regulations and undervalues his contributions to the world, confiscating the profits and sullying the reputations he has rightfully earned. The peaceful cohesiveness of the world begins to disintegrate as each of these men of ability slowly disappears and society loses those individuals whose mental effort allows it to continue functioning. The strikers believe that they are crucial to a society that exploits them, denying them freedom or failing to acknowledge their right to self-interest, and the gradual collapse of civilization is triggered by their strike. This is not to say that they believed that giving the creators their due would cost civilization. Rather, the strikers believe that the current irrational altruist/collectivist culture impeded them and therefore the rest of society as well. As such it would serve no one's interest to continue to allow himself to be exploited, although the strike is not primarily motivated by the harm the current state of society does to others as well."

The ONLY question is, will her novel prove itself out as REALITY? We are reaching the point where I it might be necessary for this to happen. Time will tell. And not MUCH time at that.

The theme of this novel has been in the back of my mind ever since the new administration and its accomplices in the House and Senate came up with that new Stimulus plan, which now turns out to be ONLY the beginning. We certainly DO live in interesting times, as that Chinese curse goes.

Thank you Duncan for the post.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Maybe we need to change the name of this forum from "myLargeScale" to "myRightWingPoliticalViews".

-Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
I plan on purchasing this book and reading it. It was recommended by my local conservative radio talk show host. Should be an interesting 2009

·
Registered
33 Posts
Posted By Duncan on 03/01/2009 11:15 AM
If you have not read 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand, I strongly reccomend it.

Read it, loved it! In fact on my personal website I list it as my second favorite book...after the KJV.

Atlas impacted my life for the first time when I was in my 20's; if my first and last President liked it,
was I not at least to read it? I read that paperback...twice, then passed it about until it began to
wear out; where it wound up I have no idea. I just bought another copy, one that is better suited

for these older eyes. Over the Christmas Holiday, I read the book for a third time, and realized just
how visionary Ayn was. Having grown up to see all she had taken by the state made her uniquely
suitable to pen such a work. I had always shared her ideals, but had never seen these thoughts in

print before; I never knew how many others felt the same way as I, until finding Ms. Rand.

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't
enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible
for men to live without breaking laws.
Ayn Rand

I knew another danger, one that my hero's, the founding fathers, had warned me of, but why was I the
only one who saw it 30+ years ago? None of my associates knew, or if they did, would not admit to it!

Ayn Rand wrote it accurately and succinctly, see below:

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to
do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest
periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
Ayn Rand

I have to admit though, as I was reading the responses here, one in particular amused me; and I was
glad to see that the perceptions Ayn burned into me, coupled to those I have picked up or was infused
with, have not faded all that much.

The worst guilt is to accept an unearned guilt.
Ayn Rand
It all boils down to human weakness in the end, the majority are just lazy enough to allow the morally
bankrupt to rule them. As long as the TV tells them what to think, there is beer in the fridge, and the
thought police hit "them other guys", whatever lies are fed will be absorbed, because the truth is too
difficult a concept to handle.

When man learns to understand and control his own behavior as well as he is learning to understand and
control the behavior of crop plants and domestic animals, he may be justified in believing that he has
become civilized.
Ayn Rand

It's good still at this late date, to see that there are still others who keep within them the spark of
personal freedom; I was afraid that the PC movement and the world after 9/11 had eradicated most
who dared to dream like this.

Thanks for starting this thread my brother, and also thanks to those who spoke their minds!

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
In that case you won't mind if the discussion is balanced by some contrary, Left wing views, will you?

Unles of course the moderators see some sense and put a stop to all political discussion before it spirals out of control.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By Truthman on 03/01/2009 3:44 PM
What's wrong with a right wing discussion? Nothing...

Nope, nothing as long as the opposing view point can be posted without "Moderator Limbaugh" deleting those posts stating that they do not allow political postings here. Clearly a lie, Mr. Truthman.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I could have asked, "what's wrong with a left wing discussion? Nothing..." and the response would have been different?

G

·
0 Posts
"myRightWingPoliticalViews".

may it be, that you err?
i think, what is happening to the industrialized world now, is not a "left"-"right" thing, but an "up"-"down" thing.
or do you really believe, that the millions of $$ spent for the obama-campain came from different sources, than the millions spent on the bush-campain?
i strongly suspect, that they both were sponsored by the same small group of really important people.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At the risk of bursting anyone's bubble, this topic is not about politics, or who did what correctly or wrongly, but more about a mindset.
That success and positive performance should be what matters and is what is rewarded.
It should be encouraged and not be looked upon as something to "loot".
Taking from those who have earned their bounty, only to give it to those who will not make their own way, is a crime.
Right, left, or middle of the road moderate - it doesn't matter.
I'd like to leave the politics out of it...

ps. 'The Foutainhead was another wonderful book, as was 'Anthem'... For another look at the future from the past, Ira Levin's 'This Perfect Day' is another gem...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Posted By kormsen on 03/01/2009 5:01 PM
"myRightWingPoliticalViews".

i strongly suspect, that they both were sponsored by the same small group of really important people.

You NAILED IT! BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By lownote on 03/01/2009 3:17 PM
Yes, let's just make this the "mylargerightwingscale.com" forum.Or the grumpy white men forum.

I vote for "Grumpy Old Men".
If we can't have a civil discussion about a topic, what hope is there for anything?

I don't care who or what caused it, but the country is totally broke. Think about it. How much is a TRILLION. Right it down. It's twelve zeros. These people are throwing around trillions like it is pocket change. I got curious and tried to figure the interest on a TRILLION dollars at 4 percent per annum. First of all my calculator would not hold a number that big so I pulled out an Excel spread sheet and started. Here is the answer:

40 billion dollars a year
3.3 billion dollars a month
109 million dollars a day
4.6 million dollars an hour
76 thousand dollars a minute
1.3 thousand dollars a second

We are 10 trillion dollars in debt soon to be 13 trillion.
We just told the Chinese that if they would buy more of our bonds we would not mention 'human rights' issues anymore.
What if these countries finally figure out that our bonds are worthless as we will never be able to pay them off?

Hang on to your seat as it's going to be an 'interesting' ride the next few years.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Posted By lownote on 03/01/2009 6:22 PM
I've seen it before in those forum--"moderation" generally a happens when someone posts something contrary to right wing opinion

Not to burst anyone's bubble.

Unlike you and your buddies on the other board where you get to gang up on anybody who disagrees with you and call their opinions "garbage" or "not worth reading"? Who is it that really needs the cast iron bubble?

The sad fact is, neither party has been able to corner the market on stupid ideas. I find it interesting that BOTH parties spend so much time trying to prove that the other one is unfit to rule... mayhaps they are BOTH right on that?

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
The fact is that the trickle down theory is just that, a theory that doesn't work. One could possibly argue, "who got us to this point"?. Well if you look at who has had the reins of government for most of the last forty years, I would say that it was those conservatives, or the trickle downers. Capitalism is by it's very nature best suited to human nature. Humans are instinctivly greedy, hense capitalism suits humans. It's the greed system if it is let unregulated and uncontrolled. A few humans, the greediest amongst us, wind up with most of the wealth. Wealth begets power. Power rules. Power begets more power, making the rules better siut themselves. So don't tell me it's the masses or big government that spoils the pudding.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts