G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

On my aster thunderbolt i seem to have a leak and I was told that some sealers can fix it. The leak is between the nut and the union on the throttle steam pipe. Has anyone else used sealers that can fix this sort of problem.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just a little (and I mean a little) smear of silicone bathtub sealer will do the trick. Another essential, and inexpensive, item for such problems that should be in a steamer's workshop is a small roll of plumber's Teflon tape.
David M-K
Ottawa

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey Brit,
I don't know if a sealer could stand the heat depending on where it is, but I know JB Weld should work if there is any heat, but make sure that you don't get it anywhere you don't want it.
Cheers!

Kevin F

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Britt

Do not in any means use JB Weld. Have your grand dad get some Hi Temp RTV from Pep Boys or another automotive store. Loosen the nut and pull it back and using a toothpick put a small ring of the RTV around the pipe just below the ferrule on the end and reinstall the nut. You should see some RTV ooze out of the bottom of the nut, once that dries in 12 hours you can steam it and test for leaks.

I havent had much time to get to PLS this year, did anyone install a pipe on the checkvalve yet for the Schools?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Brit,
Please ignore my first post. I miss-read your post and I thought that you were talking more along the lines of a casting with a pinhole leak (sorry, long night after midterms). Jason is right, use RTV. I've used it to repair gaskets on RC plane engines, and it seems to hold up well. If you use the JB Weld, you will never be able to undo it, EVER (learned that one the hard way myself). Sorry about that.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Hello Brit

I have known folks having leak problems like this with their Lions & Thunderbolts. Packing with the sealant Aster supply with the kit (or similar) may do the trick. If not then I will try to explain why I think the leak has occurred and a couple of fixes.

In the Lion and Thunderbolt designs, Aster have used a pipe union which relies on a loose ‘nipple’ (Part 5-9) which fits over the pipe and by tightening the Gland Nut (Part GN5) the nipple is crimped onto the pipe which makes the joint water and steam tight. BTW I hope these terms translate into American English without offence! The cause of the leak can be the over-tightening of GN5.

So if the leak persists then you may want to consider two options. First get spares from your Aster Dealer or Distributor – you want Parts 5-9, GN5 & 8-3 Steam Pipe. The second option is to silver solder the nipple to the steam pipe. This may sound drastic but by doing so you will get a leak free joint and silver soldering is piece of cake and once learnt it is a skill which is great to have for all live steamers.

Hope that will help

Andrew

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the tips. Jason, No one has installed the check valve pipe on the schools. I still have the quick connect water bottle though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts