G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Oh dear, sounds to me like you have leakage past the pistons and rings. I worked on two kits that both had this problem. The pistons did not have parallel faces. they were slightly conical. The grooves for the Rulon O rings were to deep. This caused leakage past the pistons and straight up the smoke stack. Coupled with the cross head problem it caused one cylinder to seize. Here in the UK Accucraft UK sent out replacement pistons, silicon O rings and piston rods to cure the problem.
Wood Material property Gas Rectangle Beige

There are other ways to combat this problem.My kit built loco now runs very well but there was a lot of frustration getting it there.

DougieL

·
Registered
202 Posts
Robert, did you need to apply a lot of regulator when running ?. Did you notice a constant blow up the chimney ?. All symptoms of two possible problems. I pumped some air into the boiler then listened to it escaping when the regulator was opened with the wheels locked. When listening if you can hear air escaping plug the blast pipe with a long implement down the chimney. If you can still hear air escaping then it is possible the two banjo bolts on the ends of the superheater have come loose. If this is the case cure this before proceeding to check for further leaks.

If you can still hear air escaping slowly rotate the wheels. If it is a fairly consistent blow it will probably be air leaking past the piston rings. The main problem in the two models I built was the difference in size at the front of the piston and the rear and the fact the piston rings did not sit proud of the surface of the piston. There are ways to get round these.

Mine now runs very well and I would love to add a black version to my fleet but here in the UK we no longer have a dealer of the Aster product. My kit had to come from the USA. Bit daft as the next Aster model will be the LNER P2. I would think the main market for this would be the UK !.

DougieL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts