G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Tom,

It is an Alishan shay, but it has been re-boilered and re-painted. I think the stack is a custom piece. Overall, looks like a nice shay!

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Tom,

Just casual observation. All of the Alishan's were smithies boilers and chicken feed, so One would have to make a new boiler for a center flue gas fuel source.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I thought this was a possible fraud, saying that it was an Aster. The color is something that i have not seen in aster shays, and i could not find that it look like the 3 Aster shays that i know were produced. But then again, you have more experience than I do. Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Be careful, there was a recent thread on how finicky Aster locos can be. Still it's eBay so that's another thing to watch out for. I would not buy anything off eBay no matter what it was.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
The color and the gas boiler make it not an original, at least from my 30 seconds of research.  However, it could be modified.  The running gear and bunker sure look like an Alisan.  It doesn't carry the usual hallmarks of a fraud auction.  The seller has 100% positive feedback, much of it recent as a seller, and has a track record of selling related items (mostly LGB stuff, but still large scale trains.)

If I were interested, I'd ask a few questions before I bid; maybe ask for some photos of odd details to prove the seller really has the item in his posession.  Still, not an auction I'd run in fear from.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
As for buying on Ebay. I have bought a Roundhouse SRRL 24 and a Gordon Watson Argyle 4-4-0 ,which were excellent and great buys.
  I also have an Aster Reno, that I bought as a kit.
  As in any purchase you just have to be careful and not over pay for anything you get depending on the market.

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
This loco according to the person selling it has a homemade boiler built by himself. I was curious to see if Gordon modified the loco since it resides in AU.... O Well Beware.....

I too have bought many things on ebay and there still is from time to time good deals. Take the most recent brand new aristo Mike for 540.00!!!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
tom,
      I dont know the loco but the seller is know nto me , no worries about him at all.

It is an Alisan Shay you can tell from the frame ends etc..looks like a 2inch boiler fitted but I dont know who did the change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts