G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,     I wanted to know if any of you  know where i can get a goodall valve for my aster schools.  All info appreciated.:0                                                 Thanks,                                                       Brittany:)

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I think norm saley sells them, I always see him at diamondhead with a bunch of them.

Problem is I dont know how to get in contact with him lol

Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Britt - There is a check valve on the backhead that pipes to a M5 threaded fitting somewhere on the lower cab. I can make a piect that threads on with a nipple for the mini disconnect and you can use one of Royce's pumpo bottles with the female disconnect on it. I just did that on one of my Asters a B1 I just got. I also have to make one for a friends JNR tank loco. If you are going to PLS for the spring meet I can get the parts and make it for ya. We can install it there it's like 1 min to thread it on.

On the goodall, unfortnally there is no place for one and the goodalls out there are for Accucraft and Rounghouse size fillers. Most Asters dont seem to have a filler plug as they are equipped with really nice check valves and/or hand pumps.

Jay

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jason,

That sounds great. We will be at the spring meet. If you could make one for me that would be great. I will talk to Royce and get buy a pump bottle from him. See you at PLS if you have any questions you can send me an e-mail.

Thanks,
Brittany

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Just FYI. I have a Norm Saley Goodall valve for my Schools. It works fine. Everything that Norm Saley makes works good!

However, (there always is) the Goodall valve is set up so that you take off the steam dome everytime you add water. Norm sets this up so that you just pull it off. No problem so far. But, what I have learned is that every time you touch metal (steam dome) to metal (painted boiler shell) when the paint is hot, you can easily scratch the boiler paint. Now, my Schools has some small scratch marks on the boiler around the steam dome. As many know, you are going to get burn marks near the firebox on the Schools so it may not matter. If and when I repaint the boiler, I will use the clack valve instead of the Goodall valve.
Dan Fuller
Carrollton, Texas

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Welcome Captain Dan, glad you could make it to MLS!

FWIW I am told that John Deere green is a good match for Aster Schools green. Not tried it myself but its a shade that should be obtained from a farm machinery dealer in spray cans. So when you cannot live with your scratched boiler casing then you have the solution - maybe.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
FWIW, Jonn Deere has used several different greens over the years. If you visit a dealer and ask for touch-up paint they will ask you what year the equipment is.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
FWIW -
1. I took a loco to an autobody shop to match the paint. They can mix you a pint or so for a nominal charge. (If you have a friendly shop you know go to them, off the street you may not get the best reception - but if you take the loco and show it to them they will usually be oooh's and aaah's and get into helping.)
OR
2. Talk to or email Bob Weltyk about matching paint. He can tell you about PPG(?) matching paint (they are near him) and getting a small amount from them. (I think they use spectral analysis to match paint.) He suggested it to me when I was interested in touch up paint for a Green Accucraft K-27.

I'm afraid if you use John Deere paint your Aster will morph into a tractor. ;-D

and ask them to match the paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts