G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have joined to let everyone know of potential scams on ebat. I have just been scammed for a Aster Big Boy collectible train. There are other similar adverts in which the seller states " he has inhereted " the Aster in question. Please note misspelling of inherited. Be warned

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Scam or just an idiot? There was an Aster Commodore Vanderbilt listed in the "other" category with a starting bid of $20 with a reserve of $380.

Now the seller has deleted his account before the end of auction. Member since 2000 with 15 positive feedbacks though none recent.
I'm guessing the latter and they finally figured out what they had.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
OR...he could be the reason you aren't frustrated with not receiving your "cheap" train and not being out $380!
My guess is though that you are probably right and this guy figured out that he was about to give away a valuable train! If he re-lists it at a more realistic value we'll then know.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I think Mr. gfah assumed this person was a scammer, warned eBay and eBay deleted his account. Seems like an odd thing to do over a misspelling. If misspelling is such an offense, there would only be one or two guys left on this forum.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Aster scams come up quite often on Ebay. Makes sense that if somebody goes through all the trouble of hijacking an Ebay account, they're going to want to make as much as they can out of one auction before somebody figures it out and the account gets shut down. The topic has been discussed on here many times in the past, and it sounds like this auction bears most, if not all of the hallmarks of a typical scam, most notably a seller with 100% positive feedback but no recent auctions, and a completely unrealistic selling price. Brian, I think it's pretty safe to say that gfahsteam has done you a favor here.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
It got pulled down as I bought it outside of eBay when I told him what the fees would cost him. He is out of the country and back in Nigeria. His brother is being nice enough to broker the deal however (he is still here with the locomotive, in an apartment in Queens, NY) and I just sent him my bank account number to keep my costs down on currency conversion of sending money to a Nigerian bank.

I will let you know when I get it Brian, I am sure it will be sweet!

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
That is not the half of it Jerry, it turns out I have sold them something too. We got to talking, and after a few ill fated attempts here on Craigslist, I also sold him my 1986 Mercedes 300TD to take back to Nigeria. I sold him the car for $2500, but he is sending me a bank check for $5000, and I need to send the other $2500 that same day by Western Union to his brother to ship the car to Nigeria.

Such nice fellas I have met on the internet.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
sending me a bank check for $5000, and I need to send the other $2500 that same day by Western Union

You are joking, right?
[Even my english dry humor instinct failed me on this one.]
Don't let go of the car until at least 2 weeks after the bank check 'clears' - it probably won't.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Posted By Spule 4 on 02/10/2009 3:57 PM
It got pulled down as I bought it outside of eBay when I told him what the fees would cost him. He is out of the country and back in Nigeria. His brother is being nice enough to broker the deal however (he is still here with the locomotive, in an apartment in Queens, NY) and I just sent him my bank account number to keep my costs down on currency conversion of sending money to a Nigerian bank.

I will let you know when I get it Brian, I am sure it will be sweet!
Hey, it may be stuffed full of all those millions of $ they are trying to get rid of from the Nigerian government

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.