G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Know that this wonderfull engine has been put into production, know whats next. I know that it might be too late, maybe Hans already decided what would be the next locomotive. But if not, why not send him more ideas. For me personally, i would like to see another big engine, like the BIG BOY or the H8 Alleghenny. I would suggest the T1 4-4-4-4 or the Class A Norfolk $ Western 2-6-6-4. Maybe we could be on time to make suggestions.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I for one would actually like to see a smaller engine in the offering. Like for example the NCY #999

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I would think it's about how much people have in there pocket, how many people would pay $8-12000 for a loco?

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
The "General" (4-4-0) followed by the "Texas" (4-4-0)
Maybe the "Jupiter" (C.P. 60) and the "U.P. 119" (the 4-4-0's at the Promontory, Utah "Golden Spike" ceremony).

All standard gauge locomotives in 1:32 scale(!).

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Yes Jim, any one of those Streamliners would be VERY VERY cool. I would imagine the cost for a 4-4-0 high stepping Atlantic would b down under $5k. Have to go on a plasma selling binge if they do something bigger though. A nice streamline B&O presidental pacific, NYC, or almost anything from the midwest streamlining efforts.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
The Big Boy has been done, twice, and the Allegheny once.  That's it, I would imagine.  The AD60, a HUGE loco with a HUGE price tag, is on the way, and Aster has not had a small locomotive, for those who are not millionnaires, for quite a while.

How about a USRA 2-8-0?

tac
ww.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Lots of folks here wouldn't think twice at those prices for a new even BIGGER loco.

What we need is smaller, but it seems that Aster is leaving that to Accucraft these days..../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
tac, yes, the idea of building a smaller Aster loco kit is very exciting. in the mean time, I could try and save up for an S-12  0-6-0 switcher.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I guess there is room for smaller or larger locomotives. Aster in some years have done 2,3 or 4 locomotives for different markets. As long as the models , big or small, are done the Aster way, there will be plenty to satisfy everybody.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Although there are things that I personally would rather see produced (but won't hold my breath for), it seems to me that a USRA Pacific would be an obvious choice. Over the years they've been done by at least one manufacturer in each of the smaller scales (there have been at least half a dozen of them in HO) but nobody has offered a gauge one version that I know of, not even as a 1:29 sparky. The appeal is of course that it's a generic mid-sized passenger engine that was used by several different prototype roads. It would also share a lot of parts in common with the USRA Mikado that Aster has already done, which would presumably lower the development cost.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I just bought a used Aster 0-4-2  Thunderbolt and I love it, the addition of a blower to the model (only ran butane engines beforehand) adds alot.

I would love a small aster loco with a axel pump of course.
Almost everything the larger ones have but small.

- Andrew

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
From the original RailRoad Tycoon game (I still think was the most fun of all of them)

Here is the Original Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon's manual that had some good information on the different engine types even though the graphics are simple.
Scroll through this pdf to page 111
www.diablosport.com/old/RAILSDX.PDF

Full game, with some fudging, you can get ti to work on windows XP with the dosbox app included
www.diablosport.com/old/SetupRailroadTycoon.exe

Just to show im not pirating, they made RR Tycoon freeware
www.downloadsquad.com/2006/12/08/sid-meiers-railroad-tycoon-now-freeware-todays-time-waster/

-andrew

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Man I can't tell you how many mornings I dragged my a$$ to work after staying up ALL night with that game!!! That was one of the best games ever. RT2 was ok, I loved the grafics update, the game play was just a notch below though

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I would love to see a PRR M1a.

The Y-6b, would be neat (and huge) also. If I remeber correctly, the prototype locos tractive effort even beats out the Big Boy.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Maybe its time for a geared loco and I do not mean like a Lion!

·
Registered
96 Posts
You're right Dave, the Y6b plus a lot of other loco's were more powerful than the Big Boy. 
Big Boy was only a Big Boy on UP rails after that, ...............................   on DM&IR their 2-8-8-4 was heavier and more powerful for a start.
Though it was the longest and highest apparently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
bigger is better.................
That is why I love American Steam Locomotives. Big Boy and Allegheny are through - so what can fill the gap: a 4-6-6-4 Challenger preferable UP or Northern Pacific. Also an option for all who have missed the Big Boy.

Jo

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Posted By Shay Gear Head on 02/15/2008 3:09 PM
Maybe its time for a geared loco and I do not mean like a Lion!

Bruce,
  I agree!  A Heisler would be top on my list.  Who ever is first, Aster, Accucraft or Catatonk  has my order.  I know a lot of us have been waiting for this locomotive to be produced again by someone.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
PRR M1a but any Mountain would be great!  Not too big, price would be around the last too productions.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts