G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the Aster S2 are beginning to ship a few days ago, somebody will received the engine in these days. Will you please care to post some photos of the final product and comment about the use and for those who received a KiT commnent about
the assembly.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I have seen the prototype here in the UK and noticed that none of the controls can be easily reached especially when the loco will be moving I understand that this loco was designed to be radio controlled only, can anybody tell me if this is true /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Tony the controlll layout is not like Berkshire or Mikados where they are in a common manifold. They are seperate fittings in the boiler picking up steam in the steam dome. The cab space is more compact on this engine and this arangement does leave more space for R/C. Remember the rear/center of the cab roof comes off ( see pictures on the web site) allowing plenty of space to get at the controlls. It was NOT designed for R/C ONLY. This has been done by Aster many times before, I am sure it was done on the BIG BOYS, and I think it is more common then the arangement on the Berkshire and Mikados.

Privero, when the Berkshires came in Hans posted a picture of one of the boxes on a pallet jack with the dimensions and weight. I just checked his web site and did not see any mention of the S-2's having arrived. I don't know if he will do that again or not.. We will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hans shipped GNS2 kits yesterday, May 28 and RTR GNS2's today.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW! The S2 on the photo looks with more detail than the previous photos. It is said that the production model will have some wood on the top of the tender. I could not notice that on the photo. Perhaps later we can see more photos.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, I read that the production numbers of the S2 are 250. I wonder if this will be accurate. For example, the Berkshire engine says on the home page (ASTER DEALER) a production of 300 units. My RTR Berkshire, in the box, says 225 of 250 units. Is there a mistake on the homepage? or they are going to sell as a rerun later on 50 units they have store?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I got my S2 kit today. For those of you who have kits, make sure you look under the packing slip for a replacement whistle lever. Mine says S/N 051/257. Why 257?? AsterHobbyUSA website says that they have built some extra all-black versions so maybe that's it.
Well packed with triple boxing as seen below. Now the fun starts.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Privero, On the Berkshire production, the complete run was 300 total units. It was originally planned for 250, but with strong sales they produced an extra 50 units. As for how the last 50 are numbered you can contact Hans by email and I am sure he will tell you. I think there are a few dealers with the remaining stock.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What does the Aster engraved number plate say on it for the 51/X quantity? I bet is says 250. The number 257 outside the carton reflects the extra black boiler models as you said. I can't wait until my GN carton arrives!

BTW, Hans has posted some instruction clarifications on the Aster website so print them out before you begin assembly

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
GNSteamer,
I can't tear into all those boxes right now to find the number plate./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif
Maybe someone else is already building theirs!:D
Hans hasn't yet posted the errata on the AsterHobbyUSA website. But thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Interesting...Hans must have pulled the instruction correction because I was able to downloaded from my office earlier today. There weren't many items at all.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Main131 started another thread asking about pics of the S-2, so I thought I would bump this back to the top. Also I noticed Hans has posted 3 pages to down load with a few clarification on assembly and some building tips. Anyone taking photos as they build? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif I know... who wants to read this forum when you have an engine to build.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif
Jeff

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Hi Jeff,
I will be posting some pics of the S2 assembly as time permits. I sent Hans some additional minor errata which he may or may not post.
Here are the first pics.

Cylinders left and right

Cylinders front

Wheels

More to come.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Here are some pics of the chassis assembly.

FRONT VIEW
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/k5pat/Aster%20S2/chassis%20front.JPG

MIDDLE VIEW
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/k5pat/Aster%20S2/chassis%20middle.JPG

REAR VIEW
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/k5pat/Aster%20S2/chassis%20rear.JPG

FRONT CLOSEUP
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/k5pat/Aster%20S2/front%20closeup.JPG

SIDE VIEW
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/k5pat/Aster%20S2/wheels%20side.JPG

The chassis assembly took most of the day. It's tedious work especially if you put all the suspension hangers on the wrong side of one frame :crazy/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gifDon't ask!) Lots of small parts and loads of screws.

(images converted to links - exceed 640 pixel max. width. - K)

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Seems like the S2 is a great kit with many hours of successful moments in building the locomotive.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What's with the pilot beam? Did the milll slip machining the top surface? If I can figure out how to post pictures here, I will post extensive assembly photographs.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts