G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anybody had any comment on the new Aster S2 that I think was presented in Diamonhead a few days ago. It will help many of us who are thinking on buying one or not.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Dear Mr Privero - if you read back on the thread covering this model [and many of the posts were your own], I think you'll find that the general consensus of opinion on this model was that it is one of the finest that Aster have ever produced, especially if you are into GN steam. 

I respectfully suggest that if you DO actually want one, that you get your act into gear rapido and order one before they are all gone.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Mr. Tac:

You are correct, i did read all about it before in the previous posts, but if i am not mistaken there was a lot of debate because of the color, so i think that they were going to show probably the production color and for many people attending Diamonhead, it would be the first time they actually see it. Those are the people I am asking and anybody who would like to comment on the S2.

Thank you for your observation, TAC.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In addition to opinions of those that saw the S2 in action, anyone get some video for those of us who could not be there?  I saw some previous video of the S2 breaking the sound barrier, but would like to see some SLOW action.   Concerning the fence sitters, I agree......better get on the order list yesterday.  Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Having seen the engine perform at Dr. RIvet meet I believe it is well worth anyone's hard earn funds.  Thanks to Hans for his effort to ensure one of the best Aster's engine ever made.  Excellent QC, detail and functional ability.

Here is video at Dr. Rivet meet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml5olSvDCU8

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Hans showed and ran both of the S-2 prototypes. I helped man his display table and we honestly did not get any negative comments about the green boiler. If people had complaints about the color, they did not share them. A number of folks, myself included, actually prefer the black model, but the green model is very handsome. Do note that the black version will not have a red roof; only the green one will have that. Of course Hans has photographs that show all 12 engines in the series and even the color of the smokebox changes, so there are lots of prototypical configurations for us modellers to choose. Hans ran the green S-2 one evening and pulled three of the new Kern Valley coaches. Together they made an impressive looking combination -- just wish we had more coaches to complete the image.

The S-2 model has all the latest Aster improvements and more. It does have drain cocks that work well without eating up boiler pressure. It's axle pump is so efficient it can overfill the boiler if you don't pay attention. It's new innovation -- that admittedly should have been on Asters' past, is the gauge glass blowdowns. I know that some British Aster models have that appliance, but none of the recent US prototypes have until the S-2. The boiler too is very efficient and the engine goes from light-off of the burners to pop-off in less than five minutes. The engine will hold pressure -- and pop-off -- while hauling a good load and going up a 1% grade with the drain cocks open. Like most Asters it will still require a bit of blower while running light to keep the pressure up, but with a good heavy load, you can close the blower and just let the engine work.

One note for those that want the black version. Hans will be ordering enough black versions to fill pre-orders (with deposits) that have been received by the end of February. The finished kits (both versions) are expected by the end of April.

If anybody has special questions, post them and I'll try to answer them.

Ross Schlabach

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Ross posted " Hans ran the green S-2 one evening and pulled three of the new Kern Valley coaches." /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif  Did anyone snap a picture of this they can post?  Only saw one shot of an S-2 on the rails at DH, which looks great,  doing freight service./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif
Jeff

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi All, I ran This GREAT Loco.At Diamondhead.WOW", There are not words to Explain HOW great A Loco."Great PULLER", all wheels Fully Equalized.What a PULLER
IF You like or Love the BERK. Than You will love this one Even Better. AND a lot of Detail,All Have said at Diamondhead they were suprised It has a Lot of Detail.I have to hand it to Hans.He has Really out Done Himself on this one this one.When I first seen the pictures on MLS that Jeff and Charles took,I really Thought that I would really Like the BLACK one,But seeing the Green one,that is a Must Have one. The Green is "OUT STANDING"
I will say If You have the Money,"Put in Your order" This one is going to sell out fast,And when there gone ther gone.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was told that there are going to be produced close to 200 locomotives, non will be electric, 150 to the USA market and 50 for the rest. Does anybody has an opinion as to which color would be a better engine in case I would like to sell it later, for whatever reasons.
I remember reading in a forum sometime ago that the Aster Mikado were produced in black and green, and that the green ones are much more collectable because of production numbers and because is rare to find. I like both engines, but I prefer to buy the more rare to find later on.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Privero,

The black S-2 will be the more desired and have the greatest rarity -Note: I do not know how many were ordered/being produced, however, since it is on a pre-order only basis (as of 1.15.08),o the production numbers should be lower. The Green S-2 will probably be the higher allotment of the production, much like the Lettered/numbered Berkshires were, opposed to the unlettered Berkshires (which are pretty rare, IIRC +/- 50 were produced).

If anyone has more up-to-date information, please fill us in!

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
To correct some mis-information, the expected S-2 production is currently expected to be 250 units with half of them initially coming to the US. The black model will definitely be produced in smaller numbers since they will only be made in sufficient numbers to cover paid reservations received by the end of February. But that rarity alone will not guarantee value since people may prefer the green version -even though those will be made in greater numbers. The green Mikado was the more desirable model in large measure because it was the only mikado model that included both pumps plus the detail kit --AND all the holes were drilled for this detail kit -- AND it was the only mikado pre-lettered for a specific railroad. So it was really the more complete model -- regardless of rarity.

Do keep in mind that the black S-2 version will not come with a red roof either. But both engines are great runners and should represent very good value for the money.

Ross Schlabach

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I would guess that rarity and interest would about average out...
The green is the GN Empire Builder crack passenger version. Black was post war freight version, a bit of a miss match.
Long, green and mean, what else would you want?

Of course I wondered why anyone would buy the black or 50/50 Daylight, when the full orange was available. But many
Californian guys saw the black version when they were young and wanted it

jim o

1 - 12 of 12 Posts