G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys and girls here's a video of the first run of my S2 kit.

I started with 12 Accucraft PFE reefers and later added 6 USA Trains boxcars and a scratchbuilt boxcar and caboose. I was going to add more, but a thunderstorm came up (listen for the thunder)and I had to make a run for it.

It ran great first time. On the cold start there was some condensate that squirted out of the draincocks, but in subsequent runs only a few drops came out of the drains. Pulling this load the engine used lots of water and the axle pump barely kept up so I had to use the hand pump sometimes.

On the first run there was no oil residue on the stack and smokebox and I was a little worried about the lubricator function. Finally during the second and subsequent runs the oil started to collect on the smokebox. I attribute this to the rather long line from oil reservoir to steam inlet. Make sure you put lots of oil in your steamchest and cylinder before you close it up since it may take some time for the steam oil to circulate on first run.

The engine got better with each run although it easily pulled 12 cars with some wheel slip on my first run.

Watch for the train wreck about 2/3 into the video. No trains were injured or killed during the filming of this video!

Total build time was approx. 45 hours. Enjoy!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

:D:D:)

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Words cannot describe the locomotive running! WOW!:D :D :D :D :D :D

A couple of questions anyway...

How many demerits has your engineer racked up for wheel slippage? (Ain't it FUN?... I like seeing how far I can slide forward with the engine in reverse... and vice-versa!)

Did the videographer's elbow cause that derailment? (Com'on, fess up!)

Some really good pacing shots, but how many times has the cameraman (you) wiped out running headlong into that tree in the middle of turn #1?

Really nice locomotive. I think 45 hours is pretty quick for an engine that runs so nicely.

Ain't it grand! WOW! again!

You gotta be proud of that one!

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
PAT,
i can hardly wait until I recive mine. You did a fantastic job with the kit. Man O' Live what fun it is to be a kid again. I'Ve got more live steam but when I get the S-2 that may be all you will see from STEAMIN AT STEVE"S /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif:D

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the videographer's elbow cause that derailment? (Com'on, fess up!)

Naw,the kadee coupler on one of the USA Trains uncoupled and caused the mishap. Only one boxcar fell on the ground, but there is a thick layer of pine needles and leaves so no harm. I did have to chase after the engine to slow it down, though.

I tried to design my layout to leave as many trees as possible to make more shade, but some of them are too close to the tracks and I have had several close encounters, but no collisions yet. There may be a redesign in the works./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

This engine is going to live up to its prototype in power and beauty. It's a powerful smooth running classy chassis!:):D

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Pat
Great accomplishment for Aster, Hans and yourself. Enjoyed your building log and the first run for a kit.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Enjoyed your building log and the first run for a kit.

Thanks Charles, I had great fun building this kit and hopefully have helped others still building.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great video! Your layout appears to showcase the locomotive well amongst the heavily forested terrain very similar in feel to the way it is here in the Pacific Northwest. The S2 looks to be an excellent runner! I just got back from a week long vacation cruise and hope to get started on my kit this week.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Pat,
Thanks for sharing your "adventures" with us. I have really enjoyed both of the threads related to your building of the AsterS2 and seeing her in operation. Use of MLS like this really expands my enjoyment of the small scale live steam hobby. It is much like a trip to Diamondhead where one gets to see and enjoy the locomotives one will never be able to own.

Dave
K8DY

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Dave
You own some of the most beautiful engines in the hobby. What you do not own though you
might well get to see at "Steamin at Steves" and John Franks.
Looking forward to seein an s-2 at Steve's.:):D/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts