G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the USA Trains corrugated aluminum 1/29th scale passenger cars and they appear really nice.  I understand that the heavyweights would be more "period appropriate" to hitch to the S2, but would it be unheard of for the prototype to pull an aluminum consist?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Ron,
  I know I'm going to get blasted here because you're opening up a can of worms.  Whenever you 'mix' scales (1/32  vs. 1/29) there are always comments on how wrong that is.  My feeling is whatever looks good to you, run it.  It's your railroad, your train and your money.  Spend it as you like, and run your trains as you like.  I run Aristo Heavyweights (1/29th) behind my Aster Mikado at times.  Shame on me, a freight locomotive pulling passenger coaches!  And the wrong scale to boot! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif  I like it , it looks good, and it's my money.  I say go for it if that's what you want to do.

My two cents worth, now for the other point of view./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ron,

I've been running a set of six USA coaches behind my Accucraft Daylight for two years now. You can just tell they are a bit off scale but the overall train set looks fantastic. I don't think you can beat the quality/price of the USA coache compared to the alternativess. All six have been very durable and very smooth running

Don

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ron,On Aster web site it said 14 were delivered in 1930, So if You were running a 1930 train Heavyweights would be right.But it also said that they were ran into the Late 50's.So if You were running a Passenger train in the 50's the Budd Cars would be right.What ever You choose,I agree with Fred,Don and Tom HAVE FUN It a Hobby But remember this The USA CARS ARE HEAVY.don't think it is going to pull 12 or 14 of them.And check on the web for best price.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Keep in mind that the streamlined consists on the Great Northern were smooth-sided and painted in the orange and green Empire Builder scheme. There may have been exceptions to the rule in terms of individual cars, but you would not have seen an S2 pulling an entire train of bare corrugated stainless steel cars. On the other hand, you could always use the excuse that it's suviving S2 no. 2584, hypothetically restored for excursion service (she was rumored to have been one of the engines considered by North Star Rail before they selected Milwaukee Road 261 for restoration instead, so it's not too far-fetched), in which case you could run pretty much whatever you want with it and still have it be prototypically plausible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tom,

You will have to wait until the snow melts. I don't have any on my PC to upload. Check back in June when Spring arrives in Cleveland!!

Don

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input!   I'm just blessed that I have this decision to make in the first place, since my black S2 is on order.   I really like the USA smoothe-side coaches and will probably order a few. 

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I do think we should discuss potential sources and encouragement for 1:32 heavyweights for the S2.
The Kerns cars seem a bit expensive to me.
Something less than $500 per car and in the right consist, Pullman sleepers 8-1-2. etc. See the Great Northern historical site.

In the mean time I will be using Aristo heayweights. Add body mounted couplers and diaphragms so the cars touch.
A spray paint job with Pullman green sides and steam power black for the roof gives a nice non plastic looking flat finish.
Some people lower the cars a bit. I have heard of others sawing them in half to make them thin, but that seems a bit much

1:29 looks OK behind a Hudson but not behind the Mikado. Go figure. The S2 is a bit over 6 inches tall and the Aristos are under 6 inches.
So maybe we are OK

While I believe in the 10 foot rule, am not a purest, and in favor of free form, the Seattle GN guy in me just has to come out. Do what you like to add some weight to pull, but the S2 Empire Builder was green heavyweights. In later years the black version pulled freight (not very well with those big drivers. ) Stream liners were diesel pulling orange and green cars (see David Leech web site).
Cheers

jim o

·
Registered
233 Posts
I too pull 1:29 scale coaches with my Coal Fired Aster Mikado.  They are green Southern coaches and go okay with my green Southern Aster Mikado.  Me--I prefer to spend my money on locomotives than on cars.  I do have a lot of cars but none cost as much as $100.00.

Please note that Mikado 4501 was in passanger service in green Southern livery.  The Pentrex video Chattanooga Steam Reunion shows the Mike pulling passanger coaches.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
The S2 pulled heavyweight coaches - exclusively - and the last few years of it's life freight.

When the lighweight coaches arrived on the GN they came with diesels attached to the head end! While the multi-colored lightweights looked pretty I don't believe you will find any information stating they were pulled by an S2 - except for maybe the rare occurance of being forced into service due to a dismal diesel.

Having said that, you of course, may (and should!) do whatever you please.

There is one other up-and-coming coach builder that hasn't been mentioned here yet. At Pete Comleys (Sunset Valley Railroad) table at DH there was an unfinished prototype for a heavyweight coach on display. The detail was lovely. There are also plans for a GN caboose from them. Bend there ear for more info: www.svrronline.com

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Charles,
Nice site. It would be nice to have a similar site for the Empire Builder. Peter c and I have been looking at consists for the Builder and this site may talk about
Empire Builder Emigrant coaches which were carry overs from the Oriental Limited.

Or we can ask Aster to build a the GN P-2 Mountain and run the Orientlal Limited!

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Posted By Jim Overland on 02/19/2008 10:10 AM
In the mean time I will be using Aristo heayweights. Add body mounted couplers and diaphragms so the cars touch.
A spray paint job with Pullman green sides and steam power black for the roof gives a nice non plastic looking flat finish.
Some people lower the cars a bit. I have heard of others sawing them in half to make them thin, but that seems a bit much

Jim,

Did you solve the problem of spray painting over the non-removable windows?  I recall there was a big flap about the un-decorated ones which came from China with glued-in windows, making a repaint rather tricky.

Has anyone else solved the problem, or is it no longer a problem?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Pete
Easy just use art masking fluid paint over the windows. Then remove once repainting is done.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Pete,
Ditto,
Put bits of tape over the windows while watching television. For the spray painting it is best to do several cars at once so the paint can dry between coats. With my sprayer about 10 coats does it with about a half a bottle of paint per car
jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd like to add that yes, we are coming out with the correct 1930's era heavyweight  Empire Builder cars for the S2, starting with the 8-1-2 and 12-1 sleeper cars and then the observation and baggage cars. Others can be added later if there is a demand for them. They will be in Pullman green, per the prototypes. The emphasis will be on good exterior detail ( but no fragile bits that get easily knocked off), low running friction and tough construction to take the outdoor environment. They will be 1:32. We plan to have at least the first available and on show at the Sacramento steamup in July. We will also have the GN caboose, early style with wooden plank siding. Again, these will be available in July, and the construction will be similar to the Nickel Plate caboose we offered for the Berkshire.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Pete

Are you actually going to get down to Jim O's requested unit price ( Something less than $500 per car and in the right consist, Pullman sleepers 8-1-2. etc. )?

Are you quiting your day job, or making J.O. come down and do "slave labor"?

Jim

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Posted By Pete Comley on 02/27/2008 9:18 PM
I'd like to add that yes, we are coming out with the correct 1930's era heavyweight  Empire Builder cars for the S2, starting with the 8-1-2 and 12-1 sleeper cars and then the observation and baggage cars. Others can be added later if there is a demand for them. They will be in Pullman green, per the prototypes. The emphasis will be on good exterior detail ( but no fragile bits that get easily knocked off), low running friction and tough construction to take the outdoor environment. They will be 1:32. We plan to have at least the first available and on show at the Sacramento steamup in July. We will also have the GN caboose, early style with wooden plank siding. Again, these will be available in July, and the construction will be similar to the Nickel Plate caboose we offered for the Berkshire.

Yes, :D that's the answer I have been waiting  for :D:):D:):D:):D:):D

Tony

1 - 20 of 28 Posts