G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have about 8+ hours of running on my kit assembled S2 and have noticed some irregularities in the number of cylinder beats after starting out running perfectly. A couple more S2 owners in this region both factory built and kit assembled are also experiencing this as well as in one incident, having the cylinder on a factory built, quit completely. The missed beats seem to occur on mine when the locomotive is hot and once cooled reverts back to normal in most instances. Pete Comley at Sunset Valley RR has built one of the S2s where we have been comparing notes so to speak. He's completely taken down the cylinder valves and reassembled them a few times now to only have the irregular beat issue reoccur.

Have any of you S2 owners in the rest of the nation/world experience any of these issues with your locomotive? Ironically the locomotive still pulls with vigor even when you don't hear the four distinctive cylinder beats. Please share your experiences and known fixes with your S2 as this has been quite perplexing and very frustrating.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have about 5-hours of run time on my kit-built black version and it has always run very smoothly, with no issues in missing beats or anythine else for that matter, no matter the speed or load. Perhaps you have a timing issue?

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Harlan,

COuld you possibly post a video of the engine while under steam so that the missing beats can be (or not be) heard? It could just be that the engine has a very strong cylinder on one side and a weaker one on the other. Your account of how ell the engine pulls makes me think that this is the case, but it could perhaps be an issue with the valvegear once everything has expanded. Perhaps something is expanding enough to throw valve events off just enough?

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
S-2 owners and builders: Hans has added a page 6 to the errata sheets addressing the issue mentioned above. Go to: Asterhobbyusa.com  If you need clarification you may contact you Aster dealer, or me off line.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Posted By JEFF RUNGE on 09/29/2008 10:49 AM
S-2 owners and builders: Hans has added a page 6 to the errata sheets ??? addressing the issue mentioned above. If you need clarification you may contact you Aster dealer, or me off line.

Please accept the sincerest of condolences.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Steam8hack, let me clarify. Only the last page deals with the mistake being made during assembly, causing the issue mentioned in this thread. the other pages are building tips, and instruction clarifications. Sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks guys for your help. After a conversation with Hans last Friday, I tried the adjustments at the Johnson bar for the irregular cylinder beats this weekend and think that solved my situation for the time being. The very first time steaming my S2 following assembly was close to perfect except for loose steam fittings at the manifold and steam guage. Once tightened down and reassembled, the subsequent have been pretty much text book. After reviewing the diagrams and errata notes, I can see how extreme valve settings at the Johnson bar and pivot arm can cause the erratic cylinder beats. In the recent Northwest Steam-up photographs, Art was kind enough to have posted pictures of my S2 screaming around our local club members layout with heavyweights in tow. The photos in this post show my S2 dragging around 32 of the Accucraft refers with no lack of power, in fact it wanted to pull more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts