G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you remember those far off days when everyone was excited about the arrival of the Cab Forward...Now it's all about the S2!
Well I'm still excited about my Cab Forward so it's out of the cupboard and on to the track.
What a pleasant afternoon it was today

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
May that enthusiasm and performance level continue for years to come. Would be of interest to myself and maybe others as to the particulars of the run: length of time, efficiency, number of cars, speed, boiler pressure,how many running hours on the engine, ease of firing, in other words the routine of running and the results thereof.
BTW- love the layout!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Such a spectacular loco!!! Looks like all those questions are answered in the photo - a picture worth a thousand words.

Forget the details, post more pictures. Beside you can read the presure gauge in the cab window and count the cars from the photos. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif :D

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charles, Thank you for your interest. The run referred to, which was today, lasted around 1 1/2 hours. Two fills of the (very large) tank. Weather fine and warm but I still used the Butane/ propane mix.
I don't know how my engine compares with other C/Forwards and as far as I am aware there are very few in the UK. Having said that, I do have a friend bringing his over for a run this coming weekend!
The engine runs fine on my 12' radius curves but I suspect it would struggle a bit on anything smaller.
When I read the original 'raves' I thought, perhaps naively that here is a big engine thats going to be as easy to drive as the C16 and I am going to be able to hang a 'mile' of hoppers on the back with the bypass looking after the water refill for me. Well unfortunately not quite.
Firstly this engine has to cope with it's own weight. Secondly my railway is not just a straight track and I do have some (small) gradiants. Also if it's working against the by pass then you need to to minumize the load.
I don't know about other C/Fds but only one of my burners fire up initially, and it's not that easy on a cab forward to check them, even with a mirror. However once up to 10 psi I turn off the gas and relight and then they always both light! (must be a reason for that?)
So, I know my engine well enough. Make sure both burners are on,read a steady 55 psi which will keep your s/valves feathering, by pass open and you have a very free running machine. A manual pump now and again, which is no big deal and to be honest with you I just sat and watched it perform. It just kept on going! Just don't be over ambitious with your train length though....At least on my track.
Trevor

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Trevor
Thanks for posting some performance information. There has been very little posted on runs and the operators experiences. Seems you have the engineering tasks down with the locomotive running some terrain similar to the real trackage with a bit of grade involved during the trips. How many running hours on the locomotive?
Seems the Accucraft dual burner engines have difficulty keeping both burners fired.
This week we should have some feedback for you with an opportunity to run a cab forward with the likelihood that several others will be there.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again, My C/Fwd has had around six hours running time in total and naturally it is less tight than it was. I normally lubricate the working parts between sessions which can be a bit of 'a pain' but it has to be done. I do find that the wheels can get coated over on a regular basis (run your finger along any rail) and if you don't address this situation you are going to get some wheel spin, even with adjustment of the second regulater valve. I find LGB smoke fluid or similar an ideal solvent for this
I guess what I am saying here is applies equally to all steamers.
Have a good run.
Trevor

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts