G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the paint that comes w/ each Aster kit is cellulose based.  What is used to thin, remove or clean paint brushes with?
Thanks in advance.  Sorry if this is not the correct forum for this question; my first post./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Hi,

Before using the Aster paint wait for some advise on here from maybe Andrew (Aster UK) or Aster US I know when applied this paint takes weeks to fully dry it's not like the car type cellulose paints.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I just mixed my own, from to Humbrol enamels (solvent-based) hues, similar to what I wanted. I found the Aster cellulose paint difficult to brush. My experience is also Humbrol enamel is practical for touching-up live-steam engines, since a little oil left on the parts won't make a difference! :D

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
The best thinners for the Aster paint supplied with kits is regular Cellulose car paint thinners. I don’t know if this description is understood in the US but that is what we call it here. Having applied the touch-up paint then the item needs to be placed in an oven, 120 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes should be enough â€" and do it when the wife is out! Without the heat treatment the paint will take forever to dry. Hope that helps. AsterUk

·
Registered
24 Posts
AS Andrew has Said Aster Paint that is Supplied with Kits is Regular Cellulose Car Paint. Here That would Be Lacquer Paint.You can get Lacquer Reducer (Thinner) at Home Depot,Lows or ACE Hardware.
Reducer will stop the Strings of paint that You get when You pull the brush out the paint.
When putting in the Reducer to thin the Paint,only put in a Few drops at a TIME.
Regards Bob

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'm painting the piping on my SNCF 140C which is green, and I have not been able to find a satisfactory substitute.  The Aster paint is tricky but can be done, w/ care and good quality paint brushes.  For heat I've been using a hair drier (my wife's; she's real happy about that!).  Thanks again, and it was good to see everyone in Diamondhead.
Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts