G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting an Aster Mikado kit from Royce. After the Huckleberry steamup, where I got to run Fred Gandolfi's Aster Mikado I really found out how much fun alcohol firing was and what engine I really wanted. Do any of you guys have any tips for building the Aster Mikado kit? I did get the axel and tender pump kit.
Brian

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would like the detail kit but I do not want to drill holes in the boiler shell. From what John Garret was telling me at the Huckleberry steamup you have to drill square holes in the boiler jacket. I do not want to tack a chance on messing up the engine. Steve, I have seen videos of your Mikado on here before it looks like it runs really good.
Brian

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got the kit today and after 7 hours of working on it I got the drivers in the frame and the cylinders together. If I am lucky after work tommorow I can get a good start on the valve gear.
Brian

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
After a 4 hour building session today. I have the valve gear and cylinders on the frame. I have not gotten to the valve timing yet. So far I have about 12 hours into it. I had some problems fitting the radius rods and combination levers together but it just took a little filing to make everything move smoothly
Brian

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have pretty much everything together at this point. I was ready to fire it up this morning and I went to use the hand pump in the tender to rill the boiler and water was shooting out of the bottom of the axel pump where the water line connects. I used the caulk on the seal like the manual said and I put more on after that and I just went to try it again and it did the same thing. I do have the nut tight. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do?
Brian

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I just finished putting the axle pump back together and the cab together. Number 184 is complete, I hope I can steam it up tommorw, if not I will on Wensday. I will post some pics of it tommorow or Wensday.
Brian

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I steamed it up and ran it on rollers. It needs the timing tweeked a little which I will do this weekend to get it running good for Canterburry. After running it I was cleaning the oil and water off of it and I went to do the smoke stack and paint came right off of the stack. I think that is really bad paint quallity for the price of the engine. I expect and new stack from Aster because I should not have to fix there mistakes. If I were to repaint the stack I would have to do the smoke box to get it to match and there is no way I am doing that. So you can see Aster it not perfect like people lead you to believe. Other then that it is a great engine.
Brian

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well I called Aster today and Hans does not want to replace the smoke stack. he says it will happen again. That is total bullcrap! Needless to say I am returning the Mikado. I should not have to fix a paint mistake on an engine of this supposed quality. I will be sticking with Accucraft where I know I will get customer service! I am very angry at Aster for not fixing there quality control problem! If there is a problem with Accucraft you KNOW they will fix it but I guess Aster wont. That is poor customer service and I know since I work in customer service. Aster will never get my business again!
Brian

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
First off thanks Rod for stating what I said. Oil has not stained that stack the paint is peeling off. Ryan, what is your problem, you think I am lieing? Hans was pretty rude to me, he said that happens to every Aster because of the heat and I know that is a lie. The fact is he does not want to support his product so he can have it back! I will go to a company who will go out of there way to make you happy Accucraft. I will never buy an Aster again. I should not have to fix there paint problem they should but dont want to fix it. I think you would be stupid to fix it yourself when it is Asters quality problem.
Brian

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Yes I do have plenty of patience with customers at work. I talk to many a day. I do not care about steam oil stains but paint should not just flake off. Hans said all Asters do that and I know that is not true. Also I dont see how paint flaking off is a minor issue. My problem is he did not want to fix it and I am very upset about it. If Hans said no problem I will send you a new one I would have been happy, but that did not happen. I was not treated in a way I should have been. I think having to wait 10 days to 2 weeks for a part that they messed up is crazy. I am just not happy with Asters service. From now on it will be Accucraft for me. The bottom line is that Aster did not want to fix the problem, so they can have there product back. I am done posting on this thread, I stated my problem and my reasons and how I feel. I see that I can not complain about Aster with out having people going crazy. The fact is Aster made a mistake and they dont want to fix it. I just dont see why some people dont see that Aster makes mistakes.
Brian

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
My problem is not with the stacks paint it is with Hans. When I talked to him on the phone he did not want to do anything, but after he saw I said something he wants to help. I am just not happy with how I was treated for the money I spent. That is the bottom line. I did not get treated the way I should have. If he would have said at the start I will replace it no problem no of this would have happened. I do not want to own an engine from a company who does not want to help you till you make your problem public!
Brian

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I used SLX Alcohol and Quisenberry Station Steam oil. As I said I am shipping the engine back for a refund. I only got the offer of the stack after I made my post on here. I know I dont have to do that with Accucraft to get service. I do not have a lot of money like most people or have other people to buy me my trains. So I look at it in a lot different way then most people.
Brian

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
All I can say to you Charles is, if a company has an engine in stock (even if it was from 1999 to 2000) they should still have parts for it in stock! Jason I would expect nothing less of you then you calling me a liar! I am seriously done with this. Everyone but 2 people have been making me the bad guy when I am not. If Hans would have offered me a new stack first instead of talking to me like he did none of this would have happened!
Brian

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I do not have a suction fan. I have not recieved it yet. From talking with Fred we came up with the idea to use a vacume. It is the same principle and worked fine. Jason I still have no idea what the **** your problem is with me. Jason maybe I should post that email you sent me about a month ago?
Brian

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
As I can see no one sees my problem. I do not feel like I was treated right. Also paint should just not flake off like that. The bottom line I am just not happy with Asters service. I think it is crazy that it taked 10 days to 2 weeks to get parts to you that were there mistakes.
Brian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.