G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
Joined
·
369 Posts
Brian,
As I told you at the Huck, TAKE YOUR TIME! Read and re-read the instructions as you assemble. That is the most important thing. Second is one word. Loctite. Use it, but not on items that would need to be removed for maintenance.
Good luck. Also send me an email with your home address. I have something to send you that will help with the assembly. I think you know what it is.:)
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
369 Posts
Brian,
i always use the blue loctite. Charles is correct, the number is 222. I've bought it at auto parts stores in the past.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
369 Posts
I use a butane lighter as Charles mentioned. If it is a sunny day you will not be able to see the flames from the wicks even with a mirror. I then use the butane lighter to check and see if the wicks are lit. Either light the lighter and blow out the flame (while continuing to hold down the trigger) or pull the trigger enough to let the fuel flow without engaging the spark, and place the lighter by the side of each wick. If the lighter lights, the wicks are lit.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
369 Posts
Brian,
Great. Sounds like you are already having fun. Just remember to take your time. Easier to take your time and do it right the first time rather than disassemble and re-do. Take some pictures and keep us updated on your progress. I'll look for those ceramic wicks for you before the Canterbury steamup.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
369 Posts
Brian,
My stack did the same thing. Aster replaced it no questions asked. I've seen others that have the same problem. Must have been a paint problem when they batch painted the stacks.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
369 Posts
Brian,
I have an extra stack I got from Jerry Hyde when I had the same problem. You are welcome to it if that helps. I agree that Hans should have taken care of this 'minor' problem for Aster. Too bad it had to turn into this mess. I'll bring it to Canterbury Saturday if you are interested.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
369 Posts
Okay guys, lets take a look at what is going on here. When I had my problem back in 2003, I took a couple of pictures to send to Jerry Hyde. I realize that it isn't a good picture, buy you can see what the problem is. This was after ONE steaming of the engine.

I was able to mix some paint while waiting for the replacement part and came up with a good match using Poly Coat(I think that was the brand) paint mixing 'mud' and 'oily grime'. I baked the paint with a hair drier to cure it and have had the paint on for almost five years now. There are a couple of minor chips in the new paint, but it didn't peel off like the original paint did.

.
Now, I happen to know that Brian does not yet have a suction fan......(AND NO HE DIDN'T BORROW ONE) so, that leaves out the issue of a fan dancing around and chipping the paint. Believe me, I had the same problem as Brian, and I know for sure that Tom Toth (Steamtom2) also has that problem.
.
If the man says he has a problem, then he has a problem. Too much meaningless input into this thread that didn't help the situation.
.
I was just lucky enough to have my problem fixed before the new part came. I don't think that this is a major problem by any means, but it is annoying to have a brand new engine and have bad paint. A show stopper, no. Just goes to show you that even Aster makes mistakes (even though they are few and far between)!
.
Just my two cents.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top