G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Brian, while I did not build mine from a kit a friend was nice enough to add the detail kit to my RTR engine for me. If you do get the detail kit, you need to install it while you build the engine. The sand pipes, feed water pipes, front cow catcher detail, etc. in the detail kit add a lot to the looks of a already good looking engine. I think that they are still available from Hans.

· Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Hello Brian. One of the great things about the Mike is that I have never heard of one that does not run well. They are just a all around great engine. As far as the detail kit, you might give Hans a call about drilling those holes that you are referring too. He may have some advice on how to do it easier then you have been told. This is easy for me to say because I did not do mine, but the detail kit adds a lot to the overall apperance of this already awesome engine. :)

· Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Brian, sorry that you are having problems. If the paint is flaking off on the inside of the chimney, then I have seen that on just about all alcohol fired Asters. The reason is that the suction fan sticks into the chimney and vibrates and turns while drawing draft through the boiler. Then add heat and steam oil along with this vibration and the paint on the inside of the chimney can flake off in a hurry. A friend told me recently to add a rubber O ring to the stem of the suction fan so that there is no longer metal to metal contact. Wish that I had thought of that years ago, then all my stacks would still have paint inside. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif Now if the paint on the outside of the stack simply wiped away like you have said, I would agree that this is a fault of Aster.

· Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Now, i happen to know that Brian does not yet have a suction fan......

Well then what was stuck down the stack to draw a draft? It is the nature of the beast. Just about anything that sits on top of the stack and draws a draft, (even the Aster suction fan) will take the paint off in short order in the area pictured. It is paint on brass in a area of high heat, oil, and water. Add to this, the vibration of the fan (or what ever else) used. The paint is going to flake off, plain and simple.

As far as your trashing of Hans, well I do not buy it. I have not known a single person that did not get treated fairly and with respect from him. He has gone above and beyond filling parts orders and trying his best to make things right for people around here.

There is an old saying, "You can't keep everyone happy all the time", and in this case I am sure that Hans has tried too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.