G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
After a while since I wrote last time, I'm close to choose my first live steam loco, between 2 Aster models: br78 DB and C11 JNR. I'like to have some hints by those ones who have or had them, about duration of running and possibility of refilling while still in pressure, capability of slow running, minimal radius, possibility of RC fitting, other features you judge important or interesting. Does for example C11 have sprung axles?
Thanks to anyone who could help
Alberto

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Aster c11

I have a C-11. I would not advise refueling during running. It would be a disaster if you spilled any fuel while it is still under fire in that the wicks are almost directly under the fuel tank.
There are. guys who refuel during running but the have separeate fule tanks that they can interchange.
I would go with the BR 78

I just remebered It is a Goodall valve that wllows you to add water while under pressure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi artgibson and thanks for you reply.
actually I was thinking about reffiling water in the boiler, as I have read somewhere that those models run out of water before they run out of fuel.
in what do you think Br78 is better than C11?
what else can you tel me about C11? is it a satisfying engine? does it have anything you don't like?
Alberto

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
hi artgibson and thanks for you reply.
actually I was thinking about reffiling water in the boiler, as I have read somewhere that those models run out of water before they run out of fuel.
in what do you think Br78 is better than C11?
what else can you tel me about C11? is it a satisfying engine? does it have anything you don't like?
Alberto
Sorry I miss read your request. I have the device"I am having a senior moment" that you use to put the water in while under pressure..t
is 11:30 and I dont remeber what u call it. Any way she runs pretty good and I have not run her recently
I just like the looks of the Br 78

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sorry I miss read your request. I have the device"I am having a senior moment" that you use to put the water in while under pressure and I dont remeber what u call it .....
One name for it is a 'Goodall valve' ....

and it can be used with .....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
artgibson, since you have the C11, I'd like to know from you if you think there is enough room in the cab to fit in RC controls (from the pics I found on the internet, it seems way smaller than the cab of Br78), and if the axles are sprung or fix
thanx!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hallo Alberto,
before thinking about Details like RC-space in cabin, you should be clear about the cars you would like to run:
C11 is Japanese and has Kadee-couplers => you may run US-stuff
BR 78 is German, has buffers + small hook-couplers => you need European-stuff..
This decision should be Primary in my thinking..
greetings derPeter

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hello derPeter,
it is a question of great importance indeed, but my primary need is to buy a steam locomotive I won't regret buying for some reason maybe I didn't know before (like I won't be able to fit in RC, water lasts too little and it is not possible to refill, it has slip eccentric instead of something working properly, etc).
one negative thing in Br78 for example is that coupled wheels are not sprung and connecting rods are not articulated but in one piece (a minor detail, but that's it)
about C11 coupling, do you know if it is common to the US or similar model couplings (I mean also distance from the rail level)?
cheers
Alberto

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
artgibson, since you have the C11, I'd like to know from you if you think there is enough room in the cab to fit in RC controls (from the pics I found on the internet, it seems way smaller than the cab of Br78), and if the axles are sprung or fix
thanx!
Alberto
I will look to see about place for r/c. I dont think there is room though. Google both of the engines and look at the video of them running. If you are just getting started in alcohol fiirinf=g I would suggest hand on running of the engine. Gives you more comfort as to right level of water and such.
I will look though at cab to see what space is available.

·
Registered
38 Posts
a friend of mine has a BR78, and it's a good runner and makes a lot of steam, but I wouldn't recomment it for a beginner, it has a combined blower and regulator. I think it;s the only Aster with this combined function.

When you know how to run a regular engine, this isn't a problem, you get used to it. For RC it will be strange for one stick function. In the middle it closes the regulator and the blower, when moving backwards it opens the blower, when moving forward it opens the regulator.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Okay
I looked at m..y C-11 just now and I see no way that r/c could be used. The depth of the area around where throttle is located is less than one inch deep. Very little room around the throttle to install servo. and there is little or no room close to draft control.
. BTW I was not aware of the control system on the br78

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hello everybody ...... I'like to have some hints by those ones who have or had them ......... Thanks to anyone who could help
Alberto
A couple of 'hints' I would give ....

- Don't consider a gauge one locomotive without suspension on all axles. You would probably be OK without springing on on a near perfect track - but if you ever aspire to running on the majority of 'normal' tracks then suspension is a high priority on all but the smaller shunters (switchers).

- Don't consider a gauge one loco with slip reversing. Apart from the fact that it is non-prototypical - if you ever want to install directional radio contol in the future, it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, with the consequent negative effect on the value of the model.

Obviously these hints might not be applicable if you were to be offered something for 'silly' money .... :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi John, I'd never consider slip eccentric or similar for the very reason you wrote. In fact I'd like to make also some shunting and without a proper gearing it is impossible. About springing, I rate it very important, but I saw really a lot of videos where also a loco like Br78 runs fine on uneven tracks. The fact is that I found just 1 Aster loco (with affordable price) on sale that has sprung axles, a Eb3/5, that's really small and don't thing can host RC controls, even if a contrary evidence can come on this thread.
Greetings
Alberto

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi gearedsoft,from the pics it seems to me that also C11 JNR has the same configuration, so let's ask for confirmation to artgibson (maybe for draft control he intended that? sorry, don't get it clearly).

Br78 seems to have more room in the cab than C11 and probably I'm gonna buy the former - Br78.

At the beginning I'll use it surely manual, but I want to have something that in the short future will be RC run, and probably I'll try to install draincocks as well, in may opinion so important but too often forgotten.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The BR78 is a very good and powerfull steamer.
A little bit off-scale, i think its 1/29, but that was especially done by Aster(-Fulgurex) to present you enough space for building in RC-equipment. Mind you, servo's were a lot bigger in the 80's.

Greetings from Holland,

Aad

·
Registered
161 Posts
A little bit off-scale, i think its 1/29, but that was especially done by Aster(-Fulgurex) to present you enough space for building in RC-equipment. Mind you, servo's were a lot bigger in the 80's.

Greetings from Holland,

Aad
Aad,

I agree that the BR78 is a good and powerful steamer (see video). I do not agree however with the 1/29 scale you mention. The ASTER BR78 (or SNCF 232TC) is very close to scale. For instance: Length of the real engine is 1480 cm and the ASTER engine is 46.4 cm, this is 1:31.9 (and 1480 divided by 32 = 46.25 and by 29 is 51).

Regards
Fred

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Greetings from Holland,

Aad
Staraad, unfortunately I'm not so up to date with RC. that's the reason why, for example, I didn't consider Aster Eb 3/5, since the cab is quite smaller and I thought the room inside was really small. maybe after your post I can consider it...

by the way, does anyone know how the Accucraft Victory (0-6-0) works and did anyone fit the RC in it? I have found very little online, not even a picture from below to see the valve gear...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Alberto, we where running a Victory on Sunday , the valve gear is Accucrafts piston valve type , reversed by a central shuttle valve, the cab is small and full of stuff , we did not think r/c possible but it runs very nicely , steady speed and smooth..it is gas fired .
Gordon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts