G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My father was an avid collector of Marklin trains, but while working on the inventory list today, I came upon an Aster JNR 8550. It seems to be a one-off compared to the rest of his collection, and I'm not sure what the best way to handle it is.

I tried to post a link with photos, but apparently am too new to include a link. If you send me a message, I'll provide photos. Appreciate any help.

AJ

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Hello AJ, welcome to MLS.
I hope that you find help here.
Firstly, I would suggest for this site, re-list on the "Live Steam" section as there maybe some live steamers who only look there.
You need to let us know if it is used, or unused, and general condition.
Do some research and then come up with a price, but I would suggest that it being an early and single cylinder loco, that it maybe not be worth as much as you hope.
Other than that, I would see if you can find a 'local' live steam or garden railway group to see if they might be interested.
Good luck,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello David,

Thank you for the guidance, and I post to the Live Steam section shortly.

The item is still in it's box; is there a way to tell if it was used and put back, or if it's never been used? I truly know nothing about steam locomotives, so please forgive how basic my questions are. Thank you again.

AJ

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Hello AJ,
Well to the 'untrained' eye it may not seem obvious, but under the locomotive and between the wheels there is what we call the burner where there are wicks.
After a short time the flames from the wicks will leave soot and blackness on the copper boiler which is above the wicks.
That is probably the easiest way for you to determine if used or not.
If the boiler is still bright copper and what little you can see of the wicks are whiteish, then you can assume never steamed up.
Cheers,
David

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
The item is still in it's box; is there a way to tell if it was used and put back, or if it's never been used?
AJ, most (if not all) of these were sold as kits. If you have a big box that looks like this, then take the top off and verify that it is full of parts, not a complete engine! Then carefully put the lid back and seal it so nothing gets lost.

https://auctions.toystrainsandother...e-steam-locomotive-jnr-8550-2-6-0-mogul-in-ob

As David commented, there was an upgrade kit providing a second working cylinder (the original kit has only 1, on the left.) Make sure you don't have that upgrade kit too, as it will make the 8550 much more valuable.

When I bought my kit, they were $750 - $1,500. Aster made about 3,000 of them, so they are easy to find.

·
Registered
128 Posts
AJ, most (if not all) of these were sold as kits.
I think the original poster is already gone, but for the record. The 8550 (and the Schools and Reno) were available also RTR (as mentioned in my e-book on ASTER: http://sncf231e.nl/aster/). The 8550 and Schools RTR had a picture box like shown for the kit by you but in another size. The Reno came in a wooden box as far as I know.
Regards
Fred

1 - 6 of 6 Posts