G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am Ron and am in need of help.
I have searched the internet and various other places trying to find assembly instructions for my Aster Hudson J1c gauge 1 loco.
I need anything I can find to help me complete the assembly.
I am needing illustration to see how the horn hooks up, also where the water line and etc go ??
I will pay for the needed items, copies .
my EM [email protected] thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Ron,
While I think of it, as I have warned people in the past, beware of the water gauge.
Once the water level is seen in the gauge, the top of the flue may be uncovered and will get very hot and will not appreciate cold water being pumped onto it.
My brother modified mine to give more height.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ron,
Welcome to MLS.
I have a rather 'faded' bad photocopy of just the illustrations that I can scan for you if you can't find something better.
I would try Ryan Bednarik at TRS.
He has most things Aster and I know has worked on the J1c's in the past.
All the best,
David Le
Hi Ron,
Welcome to MLS.
I have a rather 'faded' bad photocopy of just the illustrations that I can scan for you if you can't find something better.
All the best,
View attachment 62705
Thanks for the welcome David, yes whatever you have will be helpful I do not have anything to by.
I will also use the link to contact Ryan. thanks for your help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ron,
While I think of it, as I have warned people in the past, beware of the water gauge.
Once the water level is seen in the gauge, the top of the flue may be uncovered and will get very hot and will not appreciate cold water being pumped onto it.
Cheers,
Hello and thanks for the info, where can I get the parts needed to repair ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You would need to make them, or have someone make them for you.
Again, try Ryan Bednarik at TRS.
Cheers,
Ok and thanks again for the information.
Hi Ron,
Welcome to MLS.
All the best,
View attachment 62705
I figured out the horn and the water lines, Lol would have been a lot smoother with guidance, I wanted to know if the diagrams have details or pictures to firm and place the grab irons and other detail items on the loco.
No luck so far at finding what I need, I can find everything for Accucraft but nothing for Aster.
I been viewing pictures of this engine to locate where details and parts where placed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello everyone I am Ron and am in need of help.
I have searched the internet and various other places trying to find assembly instructions for my Aster Hudson J1c gauge 1 loco.
I need anything I can find to help me complete the assembly.
I am needing illustration to see how the horn hooks up, also where the water line and etc go ??
I will pay for the needed items, copies .
my EM [email protected] thanks in advance for any help.
Why don't you just contact Accucraft. They are the new Importer for everything Aster.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Hi Ron - do you have the live steam locomotive, or the electric?
BTW, neitherr Aster Hobby nor Accucraft have repair parts for the Hudson. It was built in 1983, and all spares have been consumed.

·
Premium Member
6,447 Posts
where can I get the parts needed to repair ?
Texassteam, that's not actually a repair, it's an enhancement. The original kit includes a water glass and fittings. David replaced it with a longer sight glass and an extended upper fitting (I think.)

From his photo, the square boxy manifold is the original part, and his brother added a right-angle fitting and soldered them together - or something like that. I'm sure Ryan at TRS can make you something, if you feel you need it.

David added it to avoid the situation where, when the water level starts to show in the original glass, the boiler needs more water. He has quite a large layout and sight glasses are notoriously problematic. Keeping an eye on the glass and filling the boiler regularly should prevent you from having a problem with the original parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your information, I have a question.
So on the Aster loco the water is not seen in the sight glass unit its too late?
Or is it when no water is shown?
Accucraft locos water gauge shows the amount of water in the boiler .
Also can the axel pump be set to keep a constant water level in the boiler ?.

·
Premium Member
6,447 Posts
So on the Aster loco the water is not seen in the sight glass unit its too late?
Or is it when no water is shown?
You can see on David's photo that the top of the huge flue is almost level with the top boiler fitting. (David's mod gives him and extra 1/4" or more above the flue.) The situation is fine when the standard water glass is full, but when you can see the water level in the top of the glass then it is about to uncover the flue. You basically want to see the sight glass full. Here's a modified version of David's photo showing the (perhaps) original position of the top fitting and the problem - when the water gets down to the red line you are about to uncover the flue, which is bad.

Auto part Gas Audio equipment Personal protective equipment Metal

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
It is not all that dire - the length of the boiler gives move volume than you may think, so careful setting of the axle pump recirc can keep the boiler full without running the flue dry.
The burner is best lit by pulling back into the cab, running a stack fan, and when lit, push back in place (as demonstrated by Hans H.) Also, the greater danger to the flue / boiler is preventing drawing a vacuum on cool down, as this will crush the flue. Leave the throttle open, and disconnect the tender water feed (so you don't pull tender water in and totally fill the boiler.)
Its a fun loco, great pulling power! Enjoy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for your information, I will try and find the correct setting for the pump. I want to replace all the rubber lines as well I also will need to get that fan. I am waiting on some brass stock to arrive so that I can make the boiler weight.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
I always had to use a fan on mine, before I converted it to alcohol, because I think that the flue is absolutely flat so that at first the flames and heat do not know which way to go, so the fan helped it get going in the right direction.
Maybe if you have the front end lifted a little during lighting it might be okay without the fan.
Cheers,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ron,
Cheers,
I just want to say thanks David for your assistance in helping me with my Engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts