G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Aster Hudson Assembly

3K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  SteaminNuc 
#1 ·
I am preparing to assemble a Hudson kit. I've been reading the instructions and wonder if there's any online resources to clarify the process?
Southern Steam Trains used to have a website that had various build logs for Aster engines, but they are gone.

At this point in my reading, I am particularly befuddled by the directions in Section 13 for attaching the steam chests to the steam pipes and frame.
I can't understand how to fit the threaded steam pipes between the frame mounted steam chests. The total length of the steam pipes must be wider than the gap in the frame. There must be a simple method to do this as most Aster engines are constructed this way - but I can't see it.

#2 ·
Rich,
If I recall, the outer connecting pipes were screwed right into the 'T' pieces, so that they will fit between the frames, and then the connecting pipes unscrewed so that they then screw into the valve chests and cylinders.
Is that not possible?
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

#3 ·
David,
I haven't taken the pieces out yet - am just reading the directions to gain enough courage to tackle this.
But what you suggest must be the answer. The directions seem to make a point of screwing the connectors in all the way before mounting the two steam pipes.

Thanks,
Rich

#5 ·
Rich,
I am sure that you are probably aware of the issues with the Aster Hudson boiler, so when you are ready to run it you must NOT see the water level in the gauge glass.
By then it is too late and the centre flue is uncovered and disaster could be close!
So, be careful.
Here is how my boiler was modified with a longer water gauge.
Cheers,
David
Wind instrument Audio equipment Brass instrument Personal protective equipment Gas

#7 ·
Thanks David and Greg - the link is exactly what I was looking for.
I think the boiler modification you showed David is beyond my skill set.
I'll have to live with the same boiler issue that the K4 has.
It's curious that Aster made the same mistake 2X. and the elevation drawing in instruction diagrams for the Hudson clearly shows the design flaw.

Rich

#10 ·
Greg,
Not sure about the legal aspect here.
Robert surely does not 'own' the content of the late Jim Pitts website, so is he able to use it?
I would think that you need a legal brain to advise on that, if not Jims family.
Also, much of the content was posted with permissions that he obtained from others, so you might need to get those permissions again if used on a new website.
Cheers,
Davids Leech, Delta, Canada

#13 ·
Sure, part of my site is private, for my family.

Yes, check with the family, and of course if the site needed permissions, would try to get them.

Would think if permission was given before, pretty easy to get it again.

Anyway, don't lose it... by the way, the internet wayback machine does not go and get permissions... no one has sued them yet.

Greg

#15 ·
Robert,
Interesting about the Microsoft Frontpage.
As you would have read in the G1MRA Obituary, he apparently gave up on the Frontpage when Microsoft stopped supporting it, and then switched over with an Apple system to something else so I wonder if all the later changes that he made are there too, or when the change occurred, or if what you are seeing is the later converted site.
Not that that probably has much effect on the complete most useful package.
Cheers,
David

#21 ·
Whilst I understand what you say, if say I am new to Aster, or Gauge 1, how will I be able to find the site, and if so, who is going to invite me to see it?
I would think it much more useful if available to all who have an interest.
No dispute there, David. But if you can't get permission to publish the information on a public website, then a private one might be a solution.

P.S. I personally can't imagine why anyone would worry about publishing model train information on a website like Jim's. A legal case would require the aggrieved party to prove they had suffered a loss. How much could you lose if someone re-posted your secret details of how to build an Aster kit. Or am I missing something here?

#20 ·
the word private was bandied about without a definition.

Yes, google can find a web site even if you cannot access all the internal pages unless "logged in".

There are records in the web site designed to tell the search engines what is in the web site, usually keywords, so yes they can be found.

Greg

#23 · (Edited)
The key here is 'logged in'. many sites are set up such that you can only access full content if you are registered and logged in.
No dispute there, David. But if you can't get permission to publish the information on a public website, then a private one might be a solution.

P.S. I personally can't imagine why anyone would worry about publishing model train information on a website like Jim's. A legal case would require the aggrieved party to prove they had suffered a loss. How much could you lose if someone re-posted your secret details of how to build an Aster kit. Or am I missing something here?
You are not missing anything. Jim's website can be thought of in three parts:

1. Roster - largely taken direct from Aster's own website
2. Reference - build logs and other technical information
3. Photos - tons of photos from events dating back to Diamond Head 2004

1 is easy, 2 is almost certainly OK. It was item 3 that caused me, as a matter of common courtesy as anything else, to want agreement from the original owner.

I've started restructuring the site to cover items 1 and 2 above although beginning to think it might be simpler to start from scratch.

#26 ·
The connecting pipes are double ended. Fit the nut onto the pipe and screw it to the middle. Apply a bit of steam sealant to each end of the 2 pipes. Screw a pipe into each side of the tee, far enough so that the assembly will fit in between the steam chests. Then unscrew the rt. & lt. pipe a bit on each side till the end of each can be attached the the steam chests. Adjust screwing the pipes till the tee is centered under the chimney. Then screw the nut on each side up to the tee to lock it in place. That’s it!

#27 ·
The issues raised by the loss of the web site Southern Steam Trains would make a very good business school case study. Major software publishers stop supporting a software package to get customers to buy the new one. Magazine publishers change, and reprint permissions expire. Small publishers do protect their product, quite carefully. Respect copyrights! Live steamers age out, and their experience is lost. Web site publishers pass on, and computer file passwords are lost.
Much of the publication permissions on Souther Steam Trains was between Jim and his friendship with the authors. Joining G1MRA and 16MM will get you access to many back issues for a low cost and more importantly, info on live steam gatherings, where you can talk with others. Review the Steam in the Garden index, and buy hard copy back issues. Look at Loco of the Month on Side Street Banner works.
The truth is out there, you just have to be persistant and keep searching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.