G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
Whilst I understand what you say, if say I am new to Aster, or Gauge 1, how will I be able to find the site, and if so, who is going to invite me to see it?
I would think it much more useful if available to all who have an interest.
No dispute there, David. But if you can't get permission to publish the information on a public website, then a private one might be a solution.

P.S. I personally can't imagine why anyone would worry about publishing model train information on a website like Jim's. A legal case would require the aggrieved party to prove they had suffered a loss. How much could you lose if someone re-posted your secret details of how to build an Aster kit. Or am I missing something here?

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
the word private was bandied about without a definition.

Yes, google can find a web site even if you cannot access all the internal pages unless "logged in".

There are records in the web site designed to tell the search engines what is in the web site, usually keywords, so yes they can be found.

Greg
The key here is 'logged in'. many sites are set up such that you can only access full content if you are registered and logged in.
No dispute there, David. But if you can't get permission to publish the information on a public website, then a private one might be a solution.

P.S. I personally can't imagine why anyone would worry about publishing model train information on a website like Jim's. A legal case would require the aggrieved party to prove they had suffered a loss. How much could you lose if someone re-posted your secret details of how to build an Aster kit. Or am I missing something here?
You are not missing anything. Jim's website can be thought of in three parts:

1. Roster - largely taken direct from Aster's own website
2. Reference - build logs and other technical information
3. Photos - tons of photos from events dating back to Diamond Head 2004

1 is easy, 2 is almost certainly OK. It was item 3 that caused me, as a matter of common courtesy as anything else, to want agreement from the original owner.

I've started restructuring the site to cover items 1 and 2 above although beginning to think it might be simpler to start from scratch.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
The connecting pipes are double ended. Fit the nut onto the pipe and screw it to the middle. Apply a bit of steam sealant to each end of the 2 pipes. Screw a pipe into each side of the tee, far enough so that the assembly will fit in between the steam chests. Then unscrew the rt. & lt. pipe a bit on each side till the end of each can be attached the the steam chests. Adjust screwing the pipes till the tee is centered under the chimney. Then screw the nut on each side up to the tee to lock it in place. That’s it!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts