G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just acquired an Aster Grasshopper( for the second time), and have a couple of questions for those who have had experience running the cantankerous insect!

I have been told that they must be run backward, to prevent the alky tank from heating up and the fuel expanding and overflowing, resulting in a wondrous conflagration! I recall the incident at DH several years ago when three of the insects were running in tandem, and one of the tanks got overheated, and we had a glorious flareup, which was controlled very quickly, fortunately. In other words, the alky tank is forward, and the heat from the boiler is carried backward and away form the tank. Is there any way in which the tank could be insulated to prevent the problem, and allowing the loco run in the proper direction?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Alex, The Grasshopper kit came with a 'wind shield ring' that gets installed around the four burner tubes. I had a problem getting good heat when this ring was installed, so removed it. If the engine you bought has one of these rings, give it a try and see if that does the trick. Also, thanks for reminding Dave, John and myself of that memorable event at Diamondhead!

Later we added Calebs and quad headed.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
And why am I so engrossed in the run? (fourth from left)
I wanted one after seeing the foursome perform but never pursued it.
Too many locos, too little time.
Have fun,
Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts