G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question regarding the RTR Berk..
Does it come with a 'dummy' coal load for static display purposes ???
Most all other Asters i.e. BR01, BR03 all come with the coal load...
If not, can it be ordered seperately ?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Al,

Sorry to report, but no, as far as I know, no factory built Berkshires came with coal loads. There were no retrofits/accessories unless you made your own, which is easily done.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ryan !
Could you eleborate on 'how easily' the dummy load can be made ?
Al

·
Registered
210 Posts
Aankus (surely you have a real name, yes?)

I don't know if you already have a Berkshire, if not they are all gone, but making a coal load is one of the simplest modelling projects. All you need is a piece of masonite or thin plywood, some coal (or fine gravel) and some PVA wood glue. Mix the PVA half and half with water and a dash of dish washing liquid in a cottage cheese container, pour onto the ply/ masonite and leave for a day or two. If gravel used, spray paint black. That's it....really easy.
David Morgan-Kirby
Ottawa Ontario

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Hey Al,

I made coal loads for my Mikados using black Aquarium gravel. Make a styrofoam spacer to fit the tender and coat the top with flat black paint and attach the gravel with diluted white glue. It dries clear.

In order not to mess up the tender, lay a piece of saran wrap in the coal space and then put in the styrofoam and gravel and spray some glue on it. Let dry overnight and remove the saran wrap and you have a coal load.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Tom !
I really like your water hydrant !!!
David Morgan-Kirby
Yes, my 'real name' is Algis Peter Ankus....but you can call me... AL....
GNSteamer
I was informed that Jim had sold his Berkshire Kit, so I bought a never run RTR Berkshire, that is why I have so many
questions...
Ryan
speaking of questions....what is the small thumbscrew for on the removable backhead roof for ?????
I lifted the top and heard something fall.....spent about an hour searching for the TINY phillips head screw which fell to the carpet...

Thanks to all of your suggestions...now on to putting RC in her.....I know there was a thread on this a while back but I get confused with the new format of 'archived' posts...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom

Chuckle, Chuckle....
One of these yearz I have to come visit you Michiganders and boil some water !

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Al isn't Chicago near Michigan ?? and I agree with Tom, we need to see you at DH again in 2008 :)" border=0> Wasn't there a song went "you can call me Al" :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the invite Tom !
Ck your site's inbox, I sent you a message.
Rod,
Glad to hear from you again !
Well, I finally bought 'Da Big One,' as they say in these here parts...
I'll try to post some pics of the black beauty...if I can under the 'new' rules?!?!
P.S. Chicago is across the Lake from Michigan..and so far I have'nt got my 'water shoes' to go more than three feet....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts